Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Tyers  (Read 17470 times)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Re:Fly Tyers
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2004, 01:35:54 AM »

I tie saltwater coho and spring patterns.. thats it ... :)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2004, 09:59:53 AM »

ok now that Ive got the fly rod I need some coho flys- who wants to tie em? I think Ive got a slow sinking line.

Willowbarkus

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2004, 11:40:35 AM »

I tie my flies. It's a great feeling to get a fish on a fly that you have tied yourself.
I tie flies for lake, river and beach fishing.
It's a good way to kill a couple of hours at night when there is not much on TV.
Warning, Fly tying can make you go broke. I don't think that I have saved any money tying my own flies.  
Carole

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2004, 12:38:18 PM »

I tie flies for my own use as well as friends for salmon, steelhead and trout.  Nothing complicated.  Some steamers, hairwings, leaches, buggers and nymphs.  It is very satisfying to have what I made catches fish.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 01:58:10 PM »

I used to flyfish for trout and river salmon exclusively so I tied up a bunch of flies.  My favourite to tie and use are the Adams, and Egg sucking leach.  

I don't think I've saved money tying my own since when I went to the fly shop, I'd just buy more and more materials.  But the satisfaction of catching a fish on your own creation is priceless.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 03:57:10 PM »

i felt that way too (not saving any money) but once you tie up 40 or 50 of the same pattern at a time, it really saves money ;D

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2004, 08:00:30 PM »

Evereything I fish with I tied. No sense blaming it on someone else. ::)
 ;D
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
Re: Fly Tyers
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2004, 01:35:39 PM »

I bought a beginners fly-kit at Turners on Kingsway a while back.  Its served me well and was able to tie around 10 different types of flies with the materials in the box. 
I really got into tying flies so I upgraded a number of things and bought some nice hackle cape$.  Some things I would upgrade to begin with are scissors and the bobbin.  Some cheap bobbins will tear your thread.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 06:35:20 PM »

Hi Max,
I bought the one of those kit and used the vise for about a year until I saw what a rotary vise is all about.  If you are looking at buying a vise I recommend a Renzetti roatary vise.  If you are interested in starting out cheap, I can sell you the one that I started with for a couple of bucks.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

little fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 12:58:47 AM »

I have been tying commercially and for my own pleasure for thirty years. I feel it's not always about the money, but the pleasure in building a fly, that you can catch a fish with. And then there is the challenge of creating your own designs and patterns. I like challenge of tying dry flies # 22, 24 & 26, I get orders for those sizes all over Canada & USA and had a few orders go to the United Kingdom. The key is I feel, you have to enjoy tying flies.

Deb

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2004, 07:25:31 AM »

I just started tying flies last xmas, for trout.  I'm hoping to learn a few salmon patterns within the next little while.

I agree with you Willow....it ain't cheap.   ;D
But it's now my favorite thing to do besides fly fish, and a great feeling to catch them on something you tied.

fluidcoast

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2004, 11:16:08 AM »

I've been tying since the summer, mostly trout flies: chronimids, tom thumbs, caddis flies, leeches nothing too complicated. I'm now trying my hand at some coho/steelhead flies,. The coho flies seem fairly easy, getting them to work is another story.

Nothing like catching a fish on a fly you've tied!

I've lucked out, my Dad use to tie and has passed down to me an enormous amount of supplies... you name it I've got it, so until I burn through that tying my own is much cheaper...

dboy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2004, 11:29:24 AM »

Tie both salmon and trout flies depending on whats available

mooha

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2004, 12:39:59 PM »

Started tying my own trout and (some) salmon flies about 5 years ago. Now, I would never go on any trip over one day without bringing my kit.

Very effective currency for fish cleaning and/or dish duties ;)

And as others have said, VERY satisfying to catch fish on your own recipe. Some of my friends prefer to use mine now, even better.

Highly recommended, even if you only tie simple leeches or chromonides. I even fish differently because I'm not worried about losing a few.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2004, 03:07:19 PM »

Been tying for a little over 10 years, it's the best kind of ever changing hobby I had. I ty for interior lakes rainbow trout fishery, from elongated leetches to the bloodworm, still feel that I need to learn alot in making them more durable, still use books, dvd's,tapes and watch "on the bench" tolearn more. I have in the past few years ty for cutthroat, muddlers tyed in sparse patterns and fish the Harrison and some Fraser sloughs and tribs. :) Hey guys maybe get on the water soon ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 03:11:51 PM by flyfisherman »
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles