Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bull trout fishing in squamish  (Read 7155 times)

vulture9

Bull trout fishing in squamish
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »

Whats better this time of year for fishing them , egg patterns or something like a rolled muddler?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Bull trout fishing in squamish
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »

That's Rod's department. His favorite river, his favorite fish.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »

Check out some of Rodney's Bull trout videos...I believe they are shot on the Squamish. Also Carlo (Chrome_mykiss) might be able to help you out.

Although I haven't fished this river for Bulls I would reccomend rolled muddlers or other minnow patterns as that is what they are mostly feeding on right now.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:47:11 PM by Michaelt »

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:30:43 PM »

You may wanna do a quick search to see past threads on this topic such as http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17418.0 , http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12796.0 or this one http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=13405.0

The fry are moving about now, so I would definitely swing fry patterns. My fry patterns are basically a rolled muddler with silver flashabou for a tail and no deer hair head. Itosh likes this same fly but with a bead head, both in silver and gold. I also like to swing sculpin flies this time of year. It doesn't really matter what kind of water aslong as the bulls are there, they'll bite. I suggest you just cover water, when you find one you'll find more :P

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:33:42 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

hotrod

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:41:04 AM »

Minnow patterns right now for sure! ! Seen quite a few of them out too! The ol sculpin is a good one too as well flesh patterns.

Hotrod

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »

I use rabbit strip in darker colors to imitate Sculpins & differant shapes of white to cream for Flesh flies.
I also add a few strands of crystal flash running the length of the body and a splash of red around the gill.

Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »

They don't care, just throw something big and ugly with a little bit of flash out there.  I like clousers because the hook rides upside down and i never get caught on bottom.  They're bulls first, trout second.  Unless they become "keyed in" on fry, I don't think matching the hatch so to speak is that important...just my opinion.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »

I will have to disagree with marmot. At times they seem almost stupid, get very predacious seemingly chasing at anything. But low clear water (the conditions as of yesterday) they can be as picky as any other fish (Just my experience). Remember if the usual patterns arent working that they may be feeding on insects as well..... ;) If you use sculpin patterns do not go light on gear, steelhead will take a sculpin pattern and this system has some very large wild specimens in it. Be a shame to lose one of these beauts because you are undermanned. good luck

Derek
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:38:16 AM by dereke »
always a student

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:53:48 PM »

Bulls will become wary under certain conditions. Clear water conditions as mentioned. Also if they've seen the same fly or lure numerous times they will wise up to it. If you're in a high pressure area and you're not getting action in a good pool, switching up to an original pattern will often produce results.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 02:11:27 PM »

All patterns will catch fish, but some do produce better than others at certain part of the season. A few years ago, Carlo and Shane's fry patterns definitely caught more bull trout in early April while I drift fished, but I did hook up more steelhead on that particular day. ;D With the fry count being much lower than other years, the fishing is most likely poor, which has already been reported by a few other members. Bull trout are opportunists, which are highly mobile and tend to congregate at where the food is, so as Chrome Mykiss has mentioned, it is advantageous to cover as much water as possible until you find a school of feeding fish.

I can't provide much more than this as I have only fished the river once.

On a different note, vulture9 yesterday we deleted 5 of 7 topics that you started within a short period of time. The ones deleted were repetitive and generic. As Chrome Mykiss has mentioned, most of these questions have already been answered in the past. While we don't wish to discourage new members from asking questions, the best thing to do is to perform a search in the forum. If the search comes up with nothing, then please feel free to post away. It is only considerate to keep our topic count moderate so other members also have a chance to have their questions answered, and it also makes the reading much easier for everyone. :) I understand new members are eager to read the report section, but we would like to see members contribute mutually to maintain the quality of the forum content. What we don't want to see is to have people posting rapidly to boost their post count and gain access, then stop posting and simply read the reports from that point.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

Dereke you are probably right... I'm not seasoned at bull trout fishing by a long shot, but from what Ive experienced so far, and not just on the squamish, on a few northern alberta rivers and streams as well, they're usually very aggressive.  Ive had them charge streamers from one end of a crystal clear shallow pool to the other, with myself and my brother standing not 10 feet from the fly, repeatedly and with complete abandon...so I can't say low and clear was a factor there, if anything it helped them see the fly from far off.  Squamish fish may be different, not sure, but myself and friends have done well up there on a variety of flies, some which look nothing found in nature (on our planet, anyways).  From what I've read and been told by some experienced guys, exploiting their territorial nature will almost always elicit a reaction as long as they are around.

You're probably right though and I am guilty of exaggeration from time to time, being a fisherman and all :)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »

haha ya I agree they will at times chase almost anything with some flash and eyes.

tight lines
Derek
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:17:14 AM by dereke »
always a student