Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frustration on the Vedder  (Read 5291 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer
Frustration on the Vedder
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:52:34 AM »

This year is a right off for me.  The worst success in years for me.  One wild steelie landed and 5 unpinned.  I am trying to get out and enjoy the river but can't get my enthusiasm up because of the poor results.  Do I have the Canuck syndrome this year?  Last year 15 steelies landed on less days of fishing. Two years ago 18 fish.  I hear reports continually of fish being caught but I am not seeing them.  I am minutes from the river and have seen only three fish landed all season. 
I think I need to go into steelie recovery therapy.
Time to golf me thinks..........................

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Frustration on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »

I am in the same boat this year, I have had very limited time to fish lately which has resulted in four half days on the Ved, 0 fish and 0 hookups !!  :'( I have gotten to the point where I am not even thinking about making another trip this year ... last season I couldn't keep em off , had my best year ever including a five fish day.. this season .... not so much
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bravo252

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »

Cheer Up~!! ;D
I've been doing the similar thing with you. 9 fish hooked, 2 wild landed in more than 20 outing. :'(
However, still happy work on the river~!! ;D

Cheers~!!

Bravo~!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »

Hang in there. We all go through slumps. Have you considered using the Maple Leaf drennan ? ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:10:32 PM by Fish Assassin »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »

Hey flyguy your not the only one... Last year I had a crazy good year landing over 20+ fish, and only losing around 3. 90 % of all those fish were caught on the same stretch of river on a daily basis, but this year I had not even caught one there, and the spot didnt look to have change, just lower water. This year I was off to a good start with 3 in january, and struggled through febuary, then picked up a bit closer to the middle to end of march. Hmm, I blame this slower season on the low clear water... But I still have alot to learn.
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »

Hey flyguy your not the only one... Last year I had a crazy good year landing over 20+ fish, and only losing around 3. 90 % of all those fish were caught on the same stretch of river on a daily basis, but this year I had not even caught one there, and the spot didnt look to have change, just lower water. This year I was off to a good start with 3 in january, and struggled through febuary, then picked up a bit closer to the middle to end of march. Hmm, I blame this slower season on the low clear water... But I still have alot to learn.

You're probably blaming it on me for showing you my spot  ;D ;D I think you ruined it for me, as you know I havnt been doing good last 3 days by only hooking 1 fish, and getting 2 hits yeterday when you were eating lunch  ;D you always leave at the wrong times  ;) Maybe that worm thing Fred showed you will help you out a bit.... I might go out tonight and try some roe sacs, if I get one I'll post a report..... I havnt had much luck since releasing that hatchery fish... I got jinxed  :'( :'(  Hopefully today will be better than yesterday, good luck tomorrow man, maybe your fishless streak will come to an end, remeber FISH THE BEND. first in the morning, they seem 2 hold there every day as long as your the first one there.

Dan

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »

This year is a right off for me.  The worst success in years for me.  One wild steelie landed and 5 unpinned.  I am trying to get out and enjoy the river but can't get my enthusiasm up because of the poor results.  Do I have the Canuck syndrome this year?  Last year 15 steelies landed on less days of fishing. Two years ago 18 fish.  I hear reports continually of fish being caught but I am not seeing them.  I am minutes from the river and have seen only three fish landed all season. 
I think I need to go into steelie recovery therapy.
Time to golf me thinks..........................
   Sounds like my sob story.Have not had a SINGLE hit at the Wack. Saw only one or two people with a fish this year,buddy released one.I released one wild on the Chehay and lost SIX  :P
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »

Donot feel bad as Rodney and I fished a good part of the day today and did not have a bite or talk to anyone else that did any better than us.

Rodney put it down to bad guiding or was it the mice that were into my roe in the shed last night. ;D ;D ;D

umpo4

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »

Spoonman...........   Are you still using spoons ????   I've had a fairly good year fishing only 1 day a week. I've landed 13 and from top to bottom of the river. Still fishing spoons exclusively. The last couple weeks ya gotta cover lots of country. Have landed some BIG fish lately ( big coloured Bucks ) and are they hot-wild kritters. ............

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »

Good thing pikeminnows will be active soon. ;D ;D ;D

Sooooo tired!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »

Good thing pikeminnows will be active soon. ;D ;D ;D

Put the blue tagged ones back though  ;D

Jona

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 08:22:49 PM »

I to have not had much luck this past year. I hear of fish being caught but have yet to get into one myself.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »

We were thinking of you today. ;D I should have followed you all the way to work, the day could have been more interesting. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »

We were thinking of you today. ;D I should have followed you all the way to work, the day could have been more interesting. ;D
But then you would not have seen all those cutty sharks jumping, a sight in a life time on the Vedder. ;D ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »

I to have not had much luck this past year. I hear of fish being caught but have yet to get into one myself.

Intersting.... a month ago this was me, I guess I shouldnt feel so bad after the last 3 weeks Ive had, now knowing that other people havn't caught many or any fish. This last week hasnt been that great with only 1 fish landed and 4 hooked in about 6 days, better than some ppl are doing, but I'm getting frustrated now as my landing % is only at 21%. I've hooked 23 fish so far, you can do the math, its pretty bad  :-[ 

Hopefully tomorrow is better for me... I'm expecting a few to be around as lots of people are seeming to give up  ;D ;D
Good luck to everyone going out tomorrow, maybe I'll see yaz out there 8)

PS...
Spoonman...........   Are you still using spoons ????   I've had a fairly good year fishing only 1 day a week. I've landed 13 and from top to bottom of the river. Still fishing spoons exclusively. The last couple weeks ya gotta cover lots of country. Have landed some BIG fish lately ( big coloured Bucks ) and are they hot-wild kritters. ............

I am also pretty confident in the spoon right now, about 4 fish I've hooked have been on roe, about 6 on wool and jensenegg and the rest were on spoons (mostly size 2-3 Silver Colorados) Most of the fish as you say are coloured but 2 of the fish I hooked this week, Including the one I landed were silver bullets. Just keep moving and you`ll have success, it took me 3 months of covering a ton of water before I even landed anything  ;)  Hopefully I only learn from this year and get better for next year as it will be my last before Im off to College (And I`ll be able to drive  ;D ;D ;D;)