Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Green hoochie on the vedder?  (Read 5576 times)

jacked55

Green hoochie on the vedder?
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »

Last week i was at a spot near the lower portion and i was fishing with a guy and neither one of us were catching anything. it was a slow day all around. I was using roe, he was alternating between roe,wool and spinners. All of a sudden he said im going to try somethign new. I watched him go to his tackle box and pull out something green and wiggly. It was a chartreuse hoochie? He tied it onto the end of his float setup and i think second cast BAM spring on. He brought in about a 15-20lb nice spring. I was like WTF? All day nothing and then THAT worked. A few more casts and more fish on. He only kept the one spring as per regulations but he seemed to be getting bite after bite when no one else was getting anything. As that is the first time seeing anyone use that on the vedder i just wanted to know if some of you experience guys have had success with that.
Thanks.

Dogbreath

Re: Green hoochie on the vedder?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »

A wiggling piece of plastic sometime works when nothing else will lots people up north use variations on a hootchie/spin 'n glo rig.

therise

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »

If they are just snapping at something in front of  them out of defense, anything with some action and color should work.  Fishing up north, I have had salmon attack slinky weights.  Chum salmon have torn the bottom of my new DNE foam  floats more than once before as well

fishyfish

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »

Maybe next time tie a hotspot flasher in front and see what happens. LOL.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »

Chum salmon have torn the bottom of my new DNE foam  floats more than once before as well

Oh yah definitely.  That happens so often when fishing Squamish R for chums.  It's ANNOYING!!  Damn stupid fish stop going for the float!!

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »

Jacked, i am not surprised, we have been using chartruse spoons on the Fraser and hooking quite a few Chinook. The chartruse hoochie would work as would chartruse spoons or blades. Last week one of our guides had a client put on a 4 inch purple hoochie under a float and he out fished everyone for chum, it was a drk purple with some flash.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:11:11 AM »

Spin n glow and hootchie combo is very common up here on the Kitimat. 

Fishinglover

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »

this looks new to me, may consider to buy some for try.  any advise on the color of the chartreuse hoochie for coho?   :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »

this looks new to me, may consider to buy some for try.  any advise on the color of the chartreuse hoochie for coho?   :)

Chartreuse

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »

--Now for something completely different...
--Whenever I go to a popular spot and find everyone chucking the same old rig that worked last week... If they're catching then no reason to change but if not try something different.
--I've even been known to experiment with different rigs when everyone else is catching.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:38:13 AM »

That pink hoochie with jighead, although looking ridiculous,  works well for twitching for coho.  Green?  Why not?!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »

those look like cheap bass jigs? Dont they bend rather easy on larger or feisty fish?

Not much of a bending issue on fish up to 8-10 lbs.  I am also not fishing fast water.

With the cheap jigs my complaints are the paint falls off and the hooks dull fast but are very easy to sharpen again.