Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storing lures with long leaders  (Read 5317 times)

rootbeer

Storing lures with long leaders
« on: April 01, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »

I'm wondering how people store their lures that have long leaders attached such as wedding bands, and Apex.  I have tried the "pool noodle" system, but I'm wondering if there is a better way.  Currently my wedding bands are wrapped around a pool noodle and my apex have the line wrapper around the lure and then stored in my box.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Storing lures with long leaders
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »

Sounds fine to me.
Just grab each end and slide it back and forth quickly behind your knee(with jeans on.

That'll get rid of the kinks and straighten it out.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »

I think that wrapping leaders around something fat like a pool noodle or leader board are the most popular solution. My favorite is a yellow plastic cylinder covered in velcro so after wrapping the leader you can use little velcro patches to hold down the end of the leader/swivel.

see the bottom of this link to see what I'm referring to:

http://www.fishstrikefishing.com/blog/the-return-of-the-ringhow-to-turn-the-kokanee-bite-on-with-custom-wedding-ring-spinners/

I dont remember whats the brand is but it shouldnt be hard to DIY something similar for a few $s. Basically the pool noodle concept with velcro.

fish fear me

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »

I have tons of leaders great for switching presentations quick I just grabbed a few of those blue delta tackle leader boards. They hold a lot of leaders are relatively cheap and they are also made of foam so you can hook in the hook wherever. The also take up a lot less space than a section of pool noodle  ;)   

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »

Takes up less space in a vest or ..., yes.
A pool noodle will not kink the line as much and if you're in a boat you have (or should have) more room as well.

RRV

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »

I use drinking straws cut in one inch sections. I wind the leader into a loop, compress the loop, and then slide it onto the straw. When it's time to use the lure, you just slide the straw off, connect the leader to your main line, and you're good to go.

I have a lot of pre tied hoochies, spoons and jigs, and this is the only way I've found I can reliably keep things straight

I've found that for heavier leader McDonalds straws work well because they have a wider diameter.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 04:15:10 PM »

Try 7-11 slurpy staws.

rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »

I use drinking straws cut in one inch sections. I wind the leader into a loop, compress the loop, and then slide it onto the straw. When it's time to use the lure, you just slide the straw off, connect the leader to your main line, and you're good to go.

I have a lot of pre tied hoochies, spoons and jigs, and this is the only way I've found I can reliably keep things straight

I've found that for heavier leader McDonalds straws work well because they have a wider diameter.

That sounds like a good idea.  Thanks   :D

obie1fish

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »

I think that wrapping leaders around something fat like a pool noodle or leader board are the most popular solution. My favorite is a yellow plastic cylinder covered in velcro so after wrapping the leader you can use little velcro patches to hold down the end of the leader/swivel.

see the bottom of this link to see what I'm referring to:

http://www.fishstrikefishing.com/blog/the-return-of-the-ringhow-to-turn-the-kokanee-bite-on-with-custom-wedding-ring-spinners/

I dont remember whats the brand is but it shouldnt be hard to DIY something similar for a few $s. Basically the pool noodle concept with velcro.

Those leader keepers in your link and the Lindy versions can be had at WalMart or Canadian Tire.  They are narrower than pool noodles and the ones in the article work fine for me, and are also hollow with caps on either end to hold whatever you want. They fit nicely in the lateral trays of my Kokanee tackle box.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:37:25 PM by obie1fish »