Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultralight spinning rods 8'-10' ?  (Read 13430 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Ultralight spinning rods 8'-10' ?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »

Maybe consider throwing a spinning reel on a flyrod?  I have been doing this for a long time and enjoy it. 

Capt. jack

• fishing on piers bc
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »

I've got a Quantum X-tralite ultralite spinning rod. had it for about fifteen years, finally got the quantum reel to go with it last year.
But I got a problem, the stripper guide has a groove cut into it, now it doesn't cast right. line seems to catch on the groove.
can't send it to Quantum cuz they won't fix it, don't wanna get rid of it.

I've been looking at the Amundsun Allard light action spinning combo. Also the Okuma rod might be good. its light action too.
Any body have experience with those rods? I have the Amundsun Rocky mountan fly rod and reel. Very nice feel, nice casting.

"What? Every body knows I drink coffee when I watch sonar"

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »

Get the guide replaced, it won't be much$$, it will fray your line.  Most tackle shops should be able to do this.

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »

I have the Sage SP196-2 6-10lbs.  It is an awesome rod. Custom built by Dave Barnes.  It will be very pricey to have built but I have landed 10 inch Bows to 15 lb chum...by accident targeting pinks and coho.  Great parabolic action. 

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 11:53:48 AM »

Given the lack of options 9' or longer I ended up picking up a 8' rod from First Light Tackle. Marketed as a kokanee rod its rated 2-8 lb but is very limber through the middle and top section but plenty of backbone through the butt section so I think it will be a nice versatile rod.

The proof is in the pudding of course and while I havent caught anything on it yet but if it performs the way I hope I'll probably pick up a second rod.

KarateKick

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 11:02:13 PM »

The Cabela's Fish Eagle is on sale for half price ($50 instead of $100) on their America site. One model is 11'6" long with a line rating of 1-4 lb:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/fish-eagle%7C/pc/105625080/c/157611780/cabela-s-fish-eagle-174-50-salmon-steelhead-spinning-rods/1386933.uts

I don't understand why they call this one a "light" instead of an "ultralight".  Rod classification confuses the heck out of me.