Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which line to choose  (Read 2549 times)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
Which line to choose
« on: April 04, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »

I recently got an ultralight spinning reel.  I am going to put 4 pound test line on it.  I was thinking of just putting some maxima ultagreen on but maybe there is something more suitable for this little reel. Thanks.
I like ROE

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Which line to choose
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:09:48 PM »

15# Berkley Big Game - I've got lots that I can sell you.  ;D

Personally I find that Maxima Ultragreen jumps off the spool on spinning reels. That's been my experience but I still like it the best because of its abrasion resistance and outright toughness. I use 6# leaders for Steelhead with great results. Often I'll bend out my size 4 eagle claw on a snag before busting the line. Pretty tough to beat that. Ultragreen's my favorite line by far.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:59:35 PM »

I like either the P lione Fluoroclear, fluorocarbon coated, line as it is really limp and nice for spinning reels. Other than that I use Berkley Trilene XL. It too is super limp and is fairly cheap.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:32:33 AM »

Stick to what you know...if you fish maxima on your drift rod, fish it on your ultralight.

I can tell you that I once tried some 8lb trilene as leader and I lost a lot of fish for that one trip...Infact I switched to 6lb maxima the rest of that same day and did much better.

I wasnt use to the thinness of trilene, less stretch etc...

stick to what you know

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 11:36:24 AM »

on spinning reels, lines like Trilene XL, Stren, or Maxima Perfexion work well. Lines like Big Game, and Maxima Ultra green can be too stiff for the smaller spinning reel spools. The problem that lines recommended for spinning reels have , is they are more likely to be closer to their breaking strenght than the typical lines guys use for steelheading like Ultra Green and Big Game, so most people think that they are not as good of a quality line as the Ultra green is. There is tons of smoke and mirrors in the fishing line game. Try looking around and check out which lines fall into the IGFA line rating classes. 20lb Ultragreen will be in the 30lb class becuase it's actual breaking strenght is around 27lbs.