Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vehicle Stolen While Fishing On The Chilliwack River  (Read 6833 times)

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
Re: Vehicle Stolen While Fishing On The Chilliwack River
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 12:40:35 PM »

OK I get the general idea. It's alright to post a suggestive picture of tough guys showing their Magnums and Rugers as a joke. That won't have an impact on the minors...

It also appears good to sound sympathetic to the victims and go through the motions of reporting to the police to record the statistics. However, it appears to me that the general behaviour is analogous to the law of the jungle, ie in the African savannah where one can visualize the predators making a kill and the herd instinct is life goes on, as long as it doesn't happen to me.

Sorry Rod, if I come on too strong and the video depicted action that was somewhat over the top. The thing that really bothers me is that generally speaking our society is on a downward spiral to a state of degeneracy.
I have made my contribution of over 5 years of voluntary service in CPAC (community policing access centre) in both Coquitlam and Chilliwack. Seen the crime statistics and seen some positive results.

What I hate to see is the head-in-sand attitude in some quarters by throwing up their hands rather than possibly taking more appropriate action. Let's face it, things are not getting better, it is getting much worse, and hopefully someday we'll see the escalation of desperate measures taken to rid this malaise . Hate to see us following the example of a U.S. community where the residents are urged to arm themselves for self protection because their police can't cope with the problem.

Feel free to delete this post , just straight talk from a guy fed up with the situation and the bad guys are winning.
 >:(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 12:54:39 PM by Bushwacker »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 12:49:51 PM »

No deletion needed, your frustration is felt by many others as well.

OK I get the general idea. It's alright to post a suggestive picture of tough guys showing their Magnums and Rugers as a joke. That won't have an impact on the minors...

There is a difference between that video and the photo of A-Team. One's fiction, and one's something that actually took place and was captured on camera. My first impression of that video was... well, it was in a foreign language, so I didn't know what was going on. All I knew was, one guy was dragged on the ground by the aurhority to the back and was then shot. It sent a chill up my spine, and made me sick. This forum is used by dozens of members under the age of 16, and I didn't want them to have that same feeling. If that makes others to feel moderation is skewed on this forum, then so be it, but at the end of the day, I blocked out these horrible mental images that may stick in some kid's head.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 12:57:12 PM »

generally speaking our society is on a downward spiral to a state of degeneracy.

I'll say. But that is what the society gets for treating those criminals as more than a human.
Whenever I heard people said we should scrap death penalty, we should do this and that for the inmates.
What about those that got murdered by them. What happen to their rights? Rights as simple as to live?
Toughen the penalty make jail an unpleasant place to be.
Singapore's whipping is a good practice. And I believe Canada used to have this penalty 30~40 years ago.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 01:13:56 PM »

Sorry to hear about your friends truck.  Its SO crappy that we dont have a system that effectively deals with criminals.  I was fishing on the vedder last week and some idiot on a mountain bike (expensive looking) was looking into the windows of my car on my way out.  He looked to be in his 20s , dirty blonde scruffy hair, weathered looking face.  He took off when he saw me making my way up the trail.

What do you do with a car theif though, really?  If theyre caught, do you give them 2 years in jail?  They'll just learn better ways to steal.  10 years?  they will just be a burden on society and come out even more hardened.  In some countries they chop off limbs , but again, they become a burden on society, probably more so than if they werent caught in the first place, because now we're paying for somebody who is now also physically challenged (and who would more than likely be too drugged up or lazy to work anyways).  I think few people would argue that capital punishment would be a fitting punishment...but what are the alternatives? 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 01:36:30 PM »

First a few whips
Second time, whips + work. ie. mines, road work in remote areas.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 01:38:04 PM »

First a few whips
Second time, whips + work. ie. mines, road work in remote areas.

Hey Bwi Bwi, aren't you going through that right now in your married life? ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 02:09:44 PM »

Shhhh, not so loud... :P