Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vehicle Access to Vedder Canal Dykes?  (Read 9318 times)

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
Re: Vehicle Access to Vedder Canal Dykes?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 12:27:25 PM »

Totally understand and why the barricades are necessary. It was just a matter of time, garbage etc. I am all for the clean up, it was the oh my god people, local kids are not to blame for the off road nonsense. Yeah right!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

4 of us meet today with the City and Chilliwack and have worked out a proposal which we think will suit the fishing community as well the concerns of the City of Chilliwack.

The plan we have come up with now has to go to City Council for approval and once that happens we will provide the details of the changes as the City will issue a press release for all to read.

It was very upsetting to us to hear of the thousands of dollars of damage done to the two pumping stations in this area. Some people even drove a welding truck into one of them and with a cutting torch gained entry and stole wire etc.. The pumping stations which are vital to flood protection in the low lying surrounding farm land was down for several days. Others have shot up the video cameras at these sites as well. ???

In the meantime keep your eyes open for such illegal activity in this area. If garbage dumping, driving up and down the dyke slide slopes, going through the riparian zone with 4 by 4's and ATVs continue we may not be as fortunate next time in protecting your access to this area.

Thanks to Terry, Lew and Gwyn for their great presentations and ideas they made today, working for fisherman and other recreational users of this area.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 06:28:33 PM »

Why not do a "lock gate" system like on the cowie...  Gates are locked to prevent illegal activities, but you can apply for a key to access gated area ..   It cost like $100 deposite and when key is returned at the end of season, you get 1/2 of your deposite back...  This is by far the best sistuations in my opintion. 1. The city can generate a extra sources of income. 2. Control the vehical access the area. (pass will be issue at the same time as the key.) All vehical park inside the gated area must present the pass to prvent key copy. All vilator will be ticketed with heavy fine. 3. Keep most non serious angler out the area- less fishing pressure.  Anyway, just my 2 cents.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

This was discussed at the 3 o"clock City of Chilliwack's council meeting today. You can view the staff presentation on video as it should be posted sometime tomorrow on the City web page.