Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Chilliwack fishing report  (Read 2655 times)

Aki

Vedder/Chilliwack fishing report
« on: September 05, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »

Went out yesterday and today, trying quite a few places on the lower river....very quiet with no fish seen (heard of one or two caught)...last year at this time the river was low but there were quite a few fish...not this year from what I have seen...and we are expecting 10 days or more of warm weather with probably no rain...not a good sign...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder/Chilliwack fishing report
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »

Be patient, they're coming.

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:41:20 AM »

I am going to give it a go on Monday morning. Hopefully grind out a couple bites. Will report after

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »

I was up at the Slab the other day. The water was very low and clear. A couple guys fishing and not catching. I saw one beat up red spring in the tail out of the run.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »

I poked around the river to this afternoon to see how my favourite coho hidey-holes fared after the prolong period of high water. A lot of changes. Some have disappeared but the high water and woody debris have created new hidey-holes so it's all about hunting and adapting.

At one new hidey-hole I had a large silver fish take a swipe at my jig. I thought it to be a coho or a dolly, but then a spring swam past me, downstream then up. I expect it was the same fish that chased the jig. Very bright fish. Would have been a very interesting tussle with the 10-12 feet of water that were available between the bank and the woody debris. I doubt I would have landed it! :)

But the exciting, and nearly tragic, part of the afternoon was the raft of 4 people that got caught in sweeper/bush that was in full leaf. I saw them coming downstream, turned my attention away for a bit, and when I looked up they were hidden by the tree and all I could see was a lifejacket floating downstream. Then they started calling; sometimes for help, but mostly it sounded liked they were calling a person's names. I was concerned that a person was caught up and called 9-1-1.  After 5-10 minutes they were able to get to a sandbar, but they collapsed on the ground. No doubt overcome by the stress and the cold. I thought for sure there was going to be a fatality. A couple of the guys looked to be in their 50-60's. Pretty scary for a few minutes.

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »

I bet there are a few coho that are already in hatchery that snuck right thru. Stealthy little early run buggers. Fish tight with roe.

mikeyman

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:06:21 PM »

Posted my response before I read yours. Scary stuff. Glad they are
ok.