Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Chilliwack River  (Read 7406 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder/Chilliwack River
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »

The secret to successful coho fishing is to understand the fish itself.  Coho are very skiddish in nature, and are notorious for developing a condition called "lock-jaw".  Although lighting conditions, mentioned above, may not be the only thing that can put down a school of coho, it is a "risk-factor".  Other risk factors include angler pressure, water conditions, absence of cover, as well as the presence of other fish (e.g. Chinook).  So it makes sense to target these fish accordingly.  For us, it means using as "stealthy" of a presentation as possible, including the use of fluorocarbon leaders, small hooks, small weights, and clear / sensitive floats. 

People often ask my what I'm using and I'll show them.  However, I find it more valuable when I ask to see their gear - when it's 15 lb maxima ultragreen leader and a 2/0 hook with an enormous piece of green wool, I can give them an answer as to why they stand little chance of hooking a coho.

When it all adds up, coho end up being the most challenging species of salmon to catch in LM rivers like the Vedder/Chilliwack.  However, under the right conditions, coho fishing can be "lights-out" (excuse the pun).  I focus on the "little things" that add up to the lock-jaw condition... LOL.  :)

Electroman

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »

Its easy to find spots to fish just drive up he road. Look for trails heading to the river. This time of year there will probably be a clump of cars as well. If you walk and fish as you go you will discover some really nice water.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »

I find every pink year the number of fishermen on the Vedder doubles as an over flow from the Fraser fishery...It seems the itch to go fishing carries over until the weather turns or the bite thins out.

dcajaxs

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »

I agree, its a zoo out there, and the water is low.  The bite has slowed a bit it seems.  No luck for me today had a look at the high, mid and lower sections.  the lower wouldn't be too bad if not for all the rotting fish.