Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Chilliwack River  (Read 7407 times)

nigglesworth

Vedder/Chilliwack River
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »

Was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to go on the Vedder.  I have never had much luck out there.  Was out there two weeks ago and fished Keith Wilson Bridge, Tamahi, and a few other locations.  Taking a friend up there this Sunday and any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Going to be bringing all the tools - blades, wool and roe:)

zap brannigan

Re: Vedder/Chilliwack River
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »

Little leg work there and you can find good water, generic answer I know but there's lots of spots to pull over and explore the river for spots little time and exploration does any new fisherman to that river good, drive up along chiliwack lake road there's various places to stop and fish/explore

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »

I won't share my specific spots with you as it took a lot of legwork to find them, but I can suggest the area around the crossing as being quite productive at current water levels, with opportunities to use everything in your arsenal.

My best advice though would be to just go out there with your friend and focus on enjoying the day and discovering new spots. You may or may not get into fish, but that's what fishing is all about.

edited to add: Zap Brannigan beat me to it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:25:14 AM by milo »

MoeJKU

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »

completely agree with above. I usually park somewhere and find myself having an hour walk to my car when i'm done. Ive done that for many years starting at the white triangles and then the next day out ill start when i finished and so on until i hit  the #1bridge. Its amazing the water that doesn't get seen on that river. Some sports are hard to get by thats forsure.

Fisherama

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »

Starting bright err... dark and early is probably more important than the spot.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »

Starting bright err... dark and early is probably more important than the spot.

When I was home Thanksgiving I didn't start fishing until 12:30 pm the first day. Was into 6 coho by 2:30 and left. Next day I was on the river at 8 am until around 11:30 am, and we hit 5. It doesn't depend on light at all. We just walked around till we found some "coho looking" water that didn't have anyone at it.

Look for frog water, that's your best bet. Even if the frog water is super small, chuck a spoon in it. They don't need much water to sit in. Most people walk by a lot of the coho water I fish on the Vedder, and I always do fairly well. They really like if there is a log or some overhang as well...

Good luck

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »

It doesn't depend on light at all. .

Uh...Oh really it doesn't?
The Bigger The Better!

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:39:35 PM »

I find that bright and early is important for popular spots but not so much for unspooked fish in spots that are either hard to get to or haven't been fished yet that day. So if you are planning on fishing right at the crossing with everyone else, or at Keith Wilson bridge then I would fish at first or last light, however I have had some great days fishing in full sunlight, especially when I walked and found a nice quiet spot to myself.

Fisherama

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »

When I was home Thanksgiving I didn't start fishing until 12:30 pm the first day. Was into 6 coho by 2:30 and left. Next day I was on the river at 8 am until around 11:30 am, and we hit 5. It doesn't depend on light at all. We just walked around till we found some "coho looking" water that didn't have anyone at it.

Look for frog water, that's your best bet. Even if the frog water is super small, chuck a spoon in it. They don't need much water to sit in. Most people walk by a lot of the coho water I fish on the Vedder, and I always do fairly well. They really like if there is a log or some overhang as well...

Good luck

You're right.  But for a newer angler looking for some action it helps to find a good run and start before the river's been hammered on.  Especially on a river as busy as the Vedder.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

I've been fishing a pretty busy spot the last few trips. Fish are on the bite very fast and furious until the sun hits the water then its very sporadic. most guys leave around 10-11am. Those of us that stay which is usually just me and whoever I'm with just sit down and relax for a bit (15-30mins) to "rest the pool" as the expression goes. Every time we have done this we hook up instantly and usually have pretty furious action for about an hour or so before it shuts off again.

We have used this technique many times steelheading and it works majority of the time, even on fish we hooked briefly which is usually when we decide to bother resting the pool knowing there is fish present
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »

Been fishing the same spot Hook is fishing and have observed the same.  Saying that they are on the bite fast and furious at first light is an understatement.  Like putting meat in a tank full of Piranahs lol!  A bit slower than the last two days but FFM and I managed to take 7 hatches out of there by 9 this morning.  Saw your Dad out there again, Hook.  How does he do it?  Three days in a row of waking up early.  He beat us to the river this morning! 

It is absolutely imperative that you have good, fresh roe.  In a busy spot, you are competing against everyone else and they are also slinging roe.  No Flossers to be seen there and I'd like to keep it that way.

bunnta

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

Next day I was on the river at 8 am until around 11:30 am, and we hit 5. It doesn't depend on light at all. We just walked around till we found some "coho looking" water that didn't have anyone at it.

Good luck

You were fishing with my brother that monday. he's the guy that was spoon fishing that spot first lol. I was the guy on the pin that walked went over from the other frog water to give my brother the knife and gave that spot a shot with no luck with a few cast haha. I met you ages ago with anthony but u probably don't remember :P. PS, kitty outfishes you like crazy. She gave me the glare like i was evil!...... :o. Back on point, yes hook has a point. Cooling the run off works, as well as moving around in the run. Today i moved around in the run i was fishing and fishing was fast and furious. Also i don't think fresh roe matters.....unless u call a week old roe in the freezer fresh. I got into lots of fish with a fella who fished roe with me and everyone was fishing hardware. We had bites non stop for 4 hrs and we fished above guys that were tossing hardwares and roe. We tend to think that it just the presentation.....if the guy below you doesn't get any bite on his roe and has fresh roe too, something is not being presented properly. My brother who has the same roe fish these same spot and didn't do too awesome. I fish with full stealth (clear small float,flouro, size 2 hooks and split shot) and he fishes with his foam float, pencil lead and mono and bigger hook than me. I strongly believe none of this matters when the river isn't clear but when it is....going smaller will result more hook up.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »

PS, kitty outfishes you like crazy. She gave me the glare like i was evil!...... :o.

Hahahaha I know, she put on a clinic that day. Not sure what me or your brother was doing wrong, but she definitely had the hot hand.

And yea... she hates having people around. She was already extremely annoyed with those 2 guys that beaked us out on the other side. She actually didn't mean to give that look hahaha.

I agree the presentation has something to do with it for sure! I was using the same spoon as Kitty that day, but she killed me. She was doing something different. I still haven't seen any one get a fish on roe in that spot, and I tried first light with fresh coho roe from the day before. It's all spot dependant and fisher dependant for sure. I still believe though that getting our first light has nothing to do with it...

Going back to HOOK's comment, maybe first light does have something to do with that spot, but I almost guarantee it has more to do with crowds. If first light is fast and furious with lots of people, lots of fish getting hooked, lots of flashing, lots of people flogging the water, the fish are going to turn off no matter what. You saying that you rest it after everyone leaves and that it gets good again just proves to me it's more likely a gear/crowds thing than a time of day thing.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 11:17:31 PM »

Been fishing the same spot Hook is fishing and have observed the same.  Saying that they are on the bite fast and furious at first light is an understatement.  Like putting meat in a tank full of Piranahs lol!  A bit slower than the last two days but FFM and I managed to take 7 hatches out of there by 9 this morning.  Saw your Dad out there again, Hook.  How does he do it?  Three days in a row of waking up early.  He beat us to the river this morning! 

It is absolutely imperative that you have good, fresh roe.  In a busy spot, you are competing against everyone else and they are also slinging roe.  No Flossers to be seen there and I'd like to keep it that way.

Hey Hook.  We gave your dad our roe when we left so hopefully he'll make good use of it... ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 07:42:04 AM »

Uh...Oh really it doesn't?

not always no. Particularly on the canal and the lower river if the fish are moving up they will be available through the day but they come in bumps. If the fish have settled to wait and ripen then it is the first couple of hours.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.