Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Chilliwack River Coho  (Read 29921 times)

Nibbles

Re: Vedder/Chilliwack River Coho
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 10:18:03 PM »

Using polarized sunglasses (regardless of weather and lighting conditions) is by far your best bet for successfully spotting and locating fish that are sitting on or near the bottom, as the polarization allows you to see through the glare of the water's surface to spot and identify the fish and promising looking lies.

If you are fly fishing, I normally look for rising or "porpoising" fish in the "frog water" (slow-flowing or slack water) of the calmer stretches of the river, or search for deeper slots or pools that have slow to moderate flows. They can also be found near the edges and seams of the faster flowing water.

Hope this helps in some way...   

Cheers,
Todd

Thanks for your advise.  I do have a pair of polarized glasses and can see the fish.  I think I have to catch more fish, then I will be able to see the difference.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »

I netted a female pink for him and he let it go.
He said wild coho.
I didn't say anything   ::)

I know the temptation is to say nothing and let him enjoy his belief that it was another coho, but people out there NEED to know what they are catching... ID is a big issue on the Vedder.

Maybe suggest politely that you have made the same mistake in the past, but that "it's actually a pink salmon, not a coho - look, you can tell by these spots on the tail, etc".

Tex

Jona

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »

3 wild released, only managed to keep a couple of jacks so far.

coho killer

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:15 PM »

28 hatcherys and 17 wild, landed a 8 pld hatch yesterday. Lost 1 today :(

Catch44

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:32 PM »

Howdy,New to the site and forum, nice to see you all, hope to chat and talk with some great ppl. Kinda new to the sport again to ..its been a few years. Still trying to find a hotspot for coho,,maybe up top or down below?..And do need some glasses to help see the fish for sure, I can see(ha ha)..how they would help.Been out 3 times(2hrs each)..few pinks and 2 springs, nice but still no coho.(bummer)

mr.p

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:49 PM »

28 hatcherys and 17 wild, landed a 8 pld hatch yesterday. Lost 1 today :(

had my best day of the season today.  danced with double digits, landed 6.
Season stats are approx 20 hatch, 15 wild.  catchin up CK
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 10:40:02 PM »

Ha, ha I remember netting a fish for some fella who said he hasn't caught any pinks that day but lots of coho.
I came and caught 3 pinks in an hour.
I netted a female pink for him and he let it go.
He said wild coho.
I didn't say anything   ::)
You know, this story puts a recent experience of mine in a whole new light...

Last week as my buddies and I are pulling out for the day, another guy and his posse come into our spot behind us. He claims that he caught 17 wild coho there the previous week. I quickly assessed his gear and approach and was a little dubious...and a little impressed. After hearing your story, I think I get the whole picture...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 08:41:49 AM »

I think CohoKiller just wants to pat his own back in public LOL I usually dont catch many coho in the Vedder unless im fly fishing then i get tons of wild ones for some reason  ::) This year i only got 1 hatchery because i was after whiteys for roe. now im stocked up with roe and onto other systems for all my coho action  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

aquaholic

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »

Im at just over 100 if you count 2 different regions

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »

i suck at fishing

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »

dont worry guys i will catch up to ya very fast now  ;) might even pass you by very quickly. I had one day before where i got like 40coho in one day, this was a few years back and also not on the Vedder. I like fishing places where the coho are all wild stock and you can catch lots and they are so aggressive and a riot to catch for the acrobatics  ;D
Check out our new blog

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 09:33:43 PM »

Im pretty sure that was coho killer on his b day a few years back  ::)

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:41 PM »

40 landed in one day thats amazing. I heard that there was some guy who posted on a forum that he got 86 in a day or something insane like that? Anyon hear of or know this guy? Id like to shake his hand and maybe learn a thing or two from him!
Sounds like ocean fishing for cohos which I have experienced before. 

Catch44

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 09:36:14 PM »

I'm hoping to head out this sunday and catch some coho,got some cured roe and hope my luck will be good.Havent caught one yet this year...I want at least one keeper this yr.Any helpful tips on catching coho?...if anybody wants to share.(I understand if you dont lol)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 10:50:17 PM »

the main reason we got that many fish was that the spot we were in was full of fresh fish and NO chum at all. it was like a fish every 2nd or 3rd cast for the entire day using tiny wool ties. everytime they stopped grabbing one colour combo we changed it a bit and bang bang bang  ;D We did this i think 3 trips in a row. I had my 4 fish one day in 4 casts and then just had fun all day to piss everyone off cause i wasnt giving up my spot HAHAHAHA  ;D of course this just doesnt seem to happen anymore. I think my best has been high teens to low twenties in a day since and all on the fly as well and none being hatchery  ::)

I think ED is right that it was Coho_Killer (who doesnt post anymore it seems) he is a buddy of mine and called me from the river that day so i think i might believe him but he might have been off a bit however there was 2 of them so its very possible if you find a hueg pocket of biting fish.
Check out our new blog