Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Chilliwack white springs  (Read 18506 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder/Chilliwack white springs
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 05:27:53 PM »

There ARE still some, but they are very, very few and far between. These last 2 off years I have managed to bring 3 pinks in, yes PINKS. 2 of them were humpies in one day and the other was a doe, all were released as soon as I realized what they were.

On another note though..... What is the earliestt you guys have caught springs (whites) and coho in the vedder?

alamis99

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »

i got one white on fraser last week....

goodoldays

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 07:39:02 PM »

my earliest on the vedder for coho was aug. 17th 2003, and my earliest white spring was sept 3rd 2005.
what's everyone elses?

lovethewater

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »

ok, back to the red / white spring question....

are the vast majority red?  it seems you dont really see whites in the ocean in the summer / fall... its a bit confusing...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »

That is because the White are a special strain of fish that are mostly from the harrison and implanted in the vedder. I would say that majority of fish in the harrison and Vedder are whites but not too sure of the rest of the fraser watershed or even the ocean, maybe someone else has the answer.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »

That is because the White are a special strain of fish that are mostly from the harrison and implanted in the vedder. I would say that majority of fish in the harrison and Vedder are whites but not too sure of the rest of the fraser watershed or even the ocean, maybe someone else has the answer.

are there any places fishable on the harrison river without a boat; tried under a bridge there once and got stuck in the muck.

CohoKiller5

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »

Out in port renfrew, vancouver island where i fish, i have caught whites there in the summer on many ocassions.  THey are usually the bigger ones that are the white and they put up a better fight then the reds most of the time.

I just got back this week from being out there and caught two whites.  27lb's and 25 lb's.

Definatly more reds then whites on the ocean... but they are still there!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »

There are no fish in the vedder until late september, probably Oct.

LOL

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »

honestly, I have caught Coho in late August.  But generally sept 1st is when I start fishing the vedder.  However I live 1300 km away and am now stuck fishing the Kitimat, Skeena, Lakelse, Copper, Kalum you probably get the point. 

From Sept 1st and on, get up early, fish with good roe at first light and if your in the right place, and dont let the theory that the fish are only in the lower river fool you.  There are always fair numbers of Coho and tons of spring jacks and water conditions dont matter too much

I have very good days when the water was piss low. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 09:42:54 AM »

are there any places fishable on the harrison river without a boat; tried under a bridge there once and got stuck in the muck.

Lots of spots without a boat if you are prepared to do alot of walking. Without giving away some very hard earned secrets that I learned from walking for hours on that river her is a quick tip. Park off the Hwy 7 bridge and do some walking up river on the banks.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »

Lots of spots without a boat if you are prepared to do alot of walking. Without giving away some very hard earned secrets that I learned from walking for hours on that river her is a quick tip. Park off the Hwy 7 bridge and do some walking up river on the banks.

Even this time of year Brian the water is atill too high. Those areas are fine come early winter until March. Other wise you will need a boat.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Keener

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »

Sorry... maybe a dumb question, but is it easier to fish for salmon in the Chilliwack River when the water is deep or when it gets lower? And does anyone know how well the roe you get at a gas station fair compared to the ones you cure yourself... I'm new at this.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »

I prefer the ones I cured over those you find at the service stations.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 01:50:58 PM »

Sorry... maybe a dumb question, but is it easier to fish for salmon in the Chilliwack River when the water is deep or when it gets lower? And does anyone know how well the roe you get at a gas station fair compared to the ones you cure yourself... I'm new at this.

I prefer to do it my self but when I do have to buy some I only buy from my local tackle shop
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:55:52 PM by fly_guy »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

TwoLabs

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »

Anyone care to share a recipe for curing eggs.  Do you prefer Springs, Coho or Chum?