Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder/Fraser closures  (Read 3799 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Vedder/Fraser closures
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:56:51 PM »

My buddy was making reservations at the Cultus lake resort today and they told him not to get too excited about coming up this October because the Fraser and Vedder would most liikely be closed to fishing.  I'm thinking they've been given a load of crap from someone not in the know.  Can anyone verify this rumor? If it is completely false, I really think this is bad business to propigate false rumors. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder/Fraser closures
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:01:56 PM »

That's news to me. Looking forward to the spring fishery.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »

sounds like somebody that got some bad info,i have not heard of any rumblings about either river being closed,first there are  no conservation concerns that i know of too close the vedder and for the Fraser the only concern there would be the coho stocks and Thompson steelhead otherwise the chums and Chinook runs are in decent shape.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:06:47 PM »

I think they were blowing smoke up your @#)*$# :)
weeeeeeeeeow!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 02:53:01 AM »

I was pretty sure that was the case, but can't figure out why they were doing it.  It's not very good for commerce to be spreading rumors like that. 

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 06:29:21 AM »

But when you call the fishing hotline for berrys they say you are only alload 2 hatch hos this year?is this true?

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 07:01:08 AM »

But when you call the fishing hotline for berrys they say you are only alload 2 hatch hos this year?is this true?

per day? yes it's 2 hatchery 'ho's per day.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »

Usually they bump it up to 4 later on... 2 early season is pretty normal.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Pat AV

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 11:13:03 AM »

I have not heard any rumblings of this.

The only closure that would make any sense to me would be from the Sweltzer confluence down stream to protect endangered Cultus sockeye. If they put this closure in place it should be gone once the cultus fish have moved through the Vedder.

That is the only conservation concern I can think of, maybe they will request people fish with flies, roe or spinners to target species that will actually bite in the Vedder as well (ho's springs; pinks and chum) and see how that goes......this would not affect the non-selective fishing methods at Tamahi since the endangered fish have alredy left the main stem by this point.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:21:11 AM »

Some clarifications are needed here before further confusion takes place. Or, everyone can visit this page before playing the guessing game. Tacklestores are where you purchase fishing equipment, not where you enquire regulations. For that, you go to the source of the information.

Chilliwack River

No closures at all in the near future. There isn't a reason for it. The fish that you need to release are sockeye salmon and wild coho salmon. Keep in mind that some sockeye salmon (Cultus Lake bound) are adipose clipped so make sure you double check before assuming a adipose clipped fish is a coho and bonking it.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/050720.html

The daily quotas of salmon on the Chilliwack River:

• Chinook: 4, but only one can be over 62cm.
  • Coho: 4, but hatchery fish only (the ones that are missing an adipose fin).
  • Pink: 4 (see notice)
  • Chum: 1
  • Sockeye: 0

You can only keep FOUR salmon in total together, which means if you keep four coho salmon, you can't keep anymore chinook, pink or chum salmon.

Read more about the Vedder fall fishery:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15651.0

Fraser River

Currently there is a bait ban when fishing for salmon, and ALL coho salmon (both wild and hatchery) and sockeye salmon are required to be released with care.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=103974&ID=recreational

There will be coho fishing opportunities on the Fraser River announced in early October. The daily quota will most likely be 2 hatchery fish per day. Look for a fishery notice later.

4x4

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »

My buddy was making reservations at the Cultus lake resort today and they told him not to get too excited about coming up this October because the Fraser and Vedder would most liikely be closed to fishing.  I'm thinking they've been given a load of crap from someone not in the know.  Can anyone verify this rumor? If it is completely false, I really think this is bad business to propigate false rumors. 

Maybe they meant that it's going to be such as zoo at peak time that all the snaggers are going to get this system closed.
Kinda like what happened to the Fraser.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »

No, I think it is all about a special interest group that was formed who have proposed some closures on certain rivers.
This is a small, select group who believe their way is the only way.
Be interesting to see how this will be looked upon by the angling community.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 03:21:34 PM »

Nah, it would never happen... No amount of snagging will close the vedder.

There should be 100 tickets a day issued though, that river would easily pay a salary with fines alone...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »

No, I think it is all about a special interest group that was formed who have proposed some closures on certain rivers.
This is a small, select group who believe their way is the only way.
Be interesting to see how this will be looked upon by the angling community.

think your right,
heard the vedder closure rumour before the Fraser was closed.supposedly to protect the cultis run.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!