Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cates Park by-law  (Read 5363 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Cates Park by-law
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2023, 12:35:41 PM »

Hey I just said what I'd do. Other folks can do it different & start a confrontation if they want. Some people seem to be wired up that way.

Cheers
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2023, 03:30:25 PM »

i lived in deep cove untill 2019. 40 yrs.   fished pinks in cates when they showed up  and the no fishing sign is only for the dock. also the city has no power in cates as its district of n.van land.(with local band)  .  the best time for pinks is high tide droping early morning also last hour of daylight can be good.  from the local reports i have read i   would be surprised if cates is very productive this year.

Jelly_

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2023, 03:46:03 PM »

i lived in deep cove untill 2019. 40 yrs.   fished pinks in cates when they showed up  and the no fishing sign is only for the dock. also the city has no power in cates as its district of n.van land.(with local band)  .  the best time for pinks is high tide droping early morning also last hour of daylight can be good.  from the local reports i have read i   would be surprised if cates is very productive this year.

If fishing is not permitted on the dock during the closure, cant i just float around in my kayak in front of the dock?😂

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2023, 04:02:58 PM »

If fishing is not permitted on the dock during the closure, cant i just float around in my kayak in front of the dock?😂
I got a response from the Front Desk Receptionist who says the Ranger is correct and said "Fishing is not allowed in DNV parks".  The Ranger said you can fish from a Boat which means your Kayak is ok.

But the dumb thing is what's the difference between casting my line in a kayak and casting while I am standing in the water?  The Kayak and I can literally hover on the same piece of sand.

Until somebody gets fined and challenge the ticket in court, I can't see this ambiguity resolved.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 04:13:16 PM »

i wonder when that law came in? must check seymour river cap, river for parks must be some.

Roderick

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2023, 04:18:00 PM »

I knew they would say that.  I think the point is that the park ends at the high water mark.  Saying "no fishing in parks", which may be true, is a cop out and does not address the issue of fishing from the beach.  I guess if you were standing on the grass they could ticket you.  It's the same thing as Ambleside. 

You shoulda been here yesterday.

Roderick

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2023, 04:24:51 PM »

Cap is a regional park and not administered by the DNV.  Metro Vancouver Regional Parks allow fishing. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2023, 04:59:52 PM »

A few years ago I went to an event at the Maplewood conservation area. Aa friend from high school had published a book about the squatters community that was formed there in the 70s ( among other things) and was giving a reading there. I had fished that beach  a few decades before for cutthroat (never caught anything) but when I drove into the park, at the entrance, I noticed a prominent sign that said fishing was not allowed in the conservation area.  I also know that some parts of the seawall in Stanley park are  no fishing. In that case I know that came about because of conflicts between fishers and people using the walkway. At Ambleside you can access the beach without going through the park so that may make a difference there. We are losing fishing access. Much of the dykes on the Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers in Surrey have been posted as no trespassing. In some cases the dykes are blocked by high chain link fences. The dykes were built and maintained by the city with public money , perhaps including funding from the Province and Federal Governments. Why should access be denied? It's getting to be a problem but what to do about it?

In North Vancouver when the city looked at the issue did they canvass the local fishing community? Were there public hearings? In many cases we've been able to scoot across private land without problem at some locations but will that continue?

During the sockeye opening late last summer CN and CP Police ticketed people crossing the tracks at uncontrolled areas. Again this was largely because some people were playing fast and loose crossing the tracks when trains were on the tracks. A lot of these trouble are often due to the bad behavior of a few idiots.

This summer at Lightning Lakes I saw a guy fishing at the swimming beach when people were in the water. He actually snagged a swimmer! Fortunately it was a member of his party and she was caught in the back of her swim suit. Still I am sure most can see the point of that story.

As i said what can we do about it? One little thing is to respect other people space and right to use the resource at the same time we do.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2023, 05:48:15 PM »

LOL There is no bylaw against walking through a park carrying your fishing gear. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2023, 05:55:52 PM »

well why don't you go to Cates, carry your fishing gear past a Park ranger and try your theory out.

Roderick

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2023, 06:15:28 PM »

Or maybe you could show me the law that says I'm not allowed to carry fishing gear through a park... but you cant, right? Stop making stuff up to scare people Ralph. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2023, 06:22:21 PM »

Huh? I didn't say anything about such a law.

Roderick

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2023, 06:24:54 PM »

I'm done responding to you Ralph.  The passive/aggressive BS is too much.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2023, 06:36:26 PM »

Nothing will change or be resolved until someone volunteers to get a ticket and go thru the process/precedent. Personally I'd consider it my civic duty to standup to blind bureaucrats; but I live in richmond so my hands are rather full at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 07:38:51 PM by dennisK »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2023, 06:38:42 PM »

I'm done responding to you Ralph.  The passive/aggressive BS is too much.

Thank goodness for that! Best news i have had in days!

Nothing will change or be resolved until someone volunteers to get a ticket and go thru the process/precedent. Personally I'd consider it my civil duty to standup to blind bureaucrats;

I don't live there either neither do I have intention to go fish there. I also think that the Mayor and Council would be more interested in what residents of  have to say.

It also wouldn't hurt to ask them if the inter-tidal zone of Cates Park is  a water lot administered by DNV or how otherwise they can restrict anglers fishing from the inter-tidal zone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 06:45:26 PM by RalphH »