Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I fished spawn sacs this past weekend and I fail.  (Read 2026 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
I fished spawn sacs this past weekend and I fail.
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:02:28 AM »

So. I tied up some loose cured roe and tried fishing them spawn sac style. I added a floater and some wool in as well (to keep the scent was my thinking)...

I definitely had some hits but I just could not get the fish to stay on the hook. I tried keeping the spawn sacs onto the hook in the 2 methods below. So I started thinking for next time to thread the sac thru the leader first and have it ABOVE the hook. Anyone fish their spawn sacs that way?

I added 3 photos below - the first two are how I tried and the 3d is my idea of version 3....(and those pics i googled...yes no barbs lol)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: I fished spawn sacs this past weekend and I fail.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »

FWIW, any time I have read about spawn sacks, they usually talk about option 4: slipping the hook under the knot of the sack. Similar to your second picture, but under the knot instead.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 10:54:29 AM »

The first one is the best.

The second one will drop after a few cast if it is barbless hook

third one is a hassle when you change sac

Roe sac is what I use exclusively. save the bait, save the time in river.

There are many reason when miss the bite, not necessarily relate to how you rig the roe sac

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »

FWIW, any time I have read about spawn sacks, they usually talk about option 4: slipping the hook under the knot of the sack. Similar to your second picture, but under the knot instead.

X2

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »

.....use a simple snell or roe knot....tie wool in line loop or on line above hook......hook bag under knot...slide bag up hook shank......loop line around bag and lightly cinch just like you would a chunk of skein...this keeps hook well exposed and gets the eggs oozing.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »

x3 under the knot

DanTfisherman

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 10:52:06 PM »

I think Spoonman is talking the same method as I would, but using different terminology.

All my Octopus hooks regardless as to how I fish them are tied to the leader using a bait loop.
To hook on the spawn sac, I would place the hook tip under the tied off knot in the mesh bag and feed it through.
From here, I would push the spawn sac up the shank of the hook as far as I can.
Then, I would open the bait loop, place the spawn sac through the bait loop, then cinch the bait loop tight over the spawn sac at the point where the mesh bag has been knotted shut.
This places a tight, neat, sharp looking spawn sac up the shank of the hook and keeps it away from interfering and the mesh material getting caught in the hook tip, as it will be cinched up at the back of the hook, against the eye.

Dano

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 05:48:14 AM »

Thanks again all