Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bull trout in Vedder  (Read 8691 times)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Bull trout in Vedder
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »

In the last 5-6 weeks I caught numerous bull trout on lower Vedder as a by catch looking for coho. Got them on all kind of presentations. Single egg(wool), roe, and today I got one on a spoon, even Milo got one on a fly another day. They are all well conditioned and with wide shoulders.  It speaks well about improvement of this river, and she runs mostly clean now. The upper river moved partially away from a clay banks below Allison Pools and old Ranger Run. Higher than average water levels through the summer and fall helped too. Looks good for Steelhead season.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Bull trout in Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »

I had 12 dollies to the beach last season, not too uncommon. Although I dont mind catching them, a little disappointment sets in when you find out that float down was not a steelhead.  ::)
The Bigger The Better!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »

My largest from the Vedder, caught Christmas morning.
The Bigger The Better!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:21 PM »

I think those are dollies

While very similar, Dolly Vardens are still quite different from Bull Trout.
Bull trout have a larger and broader head and live mostly  in inland streams. Dollies prefer coastal streams and are smaller on average.

The fish in the Vedder are Bull Trout.

REMEMBER: Bull trout and Dolly Varden from rivers are strictly catch and release!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:41:33 PM by milo »

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:42 AM »

Sea run Bull Trout are fall spawners, often quite a few around from October till April, unfortunately for them they are very bitey and get hooked many times over. I have caught the same one in the same spot many times, you can almost name them, they will fall for the same lure day after day.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »

Sea run Bull Trout are fall spawners, often quite a few around from October till April, unfortunately for them they are very bitey and get hooked many times over. I have caught the same one in the same spot many times, you can almost name them, they will fall for the same lure day after day.
yup in this one pool last steelhead season i caught the same bully 6 times all in the same pool in almost the same spot, big guy to bout 7 lbs.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Banny

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »

yup in this one pool last steelhead season i caught the same bully 6 times all in the same pool in almost the same spot, big guy to bout 7 lbs.

So true, have already tagged the same bull three times on three different presentations.  He is easy to identify because he is missing Maxillary on one side.  Great to see them around but it is easy to see why they were so easily fished out of so many streams back in the day.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:24:03 AM by Banny »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »

Hey Tadeo – good to see you again!  I’m a huge Bull Trout fan and target them on the C-V right after fry and smolt releases.  Just like gulls and eagles know where and when the food is, so do these char.  Definitely  at least 2 phenotypes of these fish here; the small headed, chunky anadramous types, maybe reaching 5 lbs and the larger alligator-head shape (like Big Fishers photo).  Love em both
I had my largest ever last year in the Camp run, on a swung intruder – in 50 years fishing this river it was probably the finest fish I have caught because it was just so magnificent.  :) Strong as hell, virtually spotless, silver and lean and pushing 12 lbs.
Had a chunk of mono hanging out of the huge mouth; I looked but couldn't see a hook it was so far down.
Final note about char on the C-V;  way back when I did a lot of electrofishing on Post Creek, a trib on the upper Chilliwack; it was full of juvenile char.

Preliator

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:31:44 PM »

What type of water will Bull Trout hold in, and does that vary depending on the season?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »

What type of water will Bull Trout hold in, and does that vary depending on the season?

They are suckers for easy food...therefore tailouts of deeper pools would be their preferred holding spot.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »

How to catch Dolly varden, Learn how the pros do it. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wzIajlEkYj4
The Bigger The Better!

Preliator

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »

They are suckers for easy food...therefore tailouts of deeper pools would be their preferred holding spot.

With that said, is it safe to assume that they can be taken on typical patterns / presentations, as oppose to just egg and flesh patterns which is likely the bulk of their diet right now?

banx

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 12:07:10 AM »

I'm just adding a bump to this.  I've been fishing the lower vedder the last few days and have hooked into a few of these beauties. 

what a great little fight and a gorgeous fish.  growing up in kitimat i caught numerous dolly's  but nothing like hooking a large bull thats for sure.

been hitting them on spoons.  nice to get into these even when the steelies won't bite.  I'm pretty sure i've caught the same guy twice as well. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:56:46 PM by banx »