Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead water?  (Read 1585 times)

Taboo

Steelhead water?
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »

So what type of river flow does one find steelhead lurking in?  Bit of an open question but I've only been steelheading twice and am still learning the ins and outs of fishing for these elusive devils....any help is appreciated as I have new waders and boots to go try out in the next few days!   ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Steelhead water?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 02:56:53 PM »

Look for water that is flowing at walking pace.
Large boulders or a run with smaller boulders.
The fish will sit in behind and front of these rocks with little or no effort.
The head or tailout of runs is where most fish will be found.
Obviously they like the pools as well but not as much as you might think.
Rest areas where the fish have had to go through some skinny water and then a nice run or pool will usually hold fish that are resting.
Some dont like fishing on sand but i have found that Steelhead love to sit on top of sand strips because they blend right in.
Fast  frothy water will often hold fish if there is anything in there that they can hide behind.
If you catch a fish or see one caught,take note of the EXACT location as other fish will hold in that same spot.

So ,pretty much anywhere there is enough water for them to hide and in some cases right out in the open.
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to Steelhead and nothing compares to getting out there and doing it and also being observant.
Cover lots of water but it is also beneficial to learn a few areas and get to know them well.
Some fishers tend to move around too much and others tend to stay in one spot too long.
Get to know a few different baits/rigs and learn them well before trying to use everything in the tackle shop in one outing.
Steelhead are generally a very aggressive fish and if you can present the bait to them fairly well you will allmost allways hook up.
Presentation is very critical.
You want to hold back on your line a little so that the hook is the first thing that the fish encounters.
Water conditions are very importatant as well and with todays internet you can find out what its like without having to drive to the river.

The learning curve for Steelhead is a big one but with some dedication and research they arent all that tough to catch.
Going with an experienced rod can really cut down on the learning curve so find someone to tag along with.

Good luck and hopefully you get to shake hands with a couple in your first year. ;)

Taboo

Re: Steelhead water?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:49:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies - great info!  :)

I've only been out the one time this year (was with an "experienced rod") and when he landed his wild buck I was hooked as well!  For now I've limited my set ups to worms, shrimp and gooey bobs with a trace of white floss.  I still have some cured Chum roe around and may give that a go as well.

With a little luck, I'll find some time this weekend to give it a go again, hopefully the rain and warm temperatures don't wreck havoc on the river conditions!