Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumas and Vedder Canals - a little 101 help please?  (Read 4541 times)

Taboo

Sumas and Vedder Canals - a little 101 help please?
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »

I wonder if some of you fine more experienced folks can help me with some Sumas and Vedder Canal 101.  As you can see from the image below that I hacked up, it is clear to me that the Fraser diverts and divides into two (duh).  I've heard that a lot of fish like to hold up in the Sumas Canal so my question is where is the best place to fish for them?  Right where the canals divide?  That would be the circled portion of the pic - aka what looks like a nice bar to fish off of on the Southern tip?  Access via N. Parallel Rd??  Or does the "Sumas Canal" refer to some other spots further South (following the arrow).

With respect to the Vedder Canal, I despise the Keith Wilson Bridge Gong Show and Snag Fest, but how does the whole length of the canal fish North of it??  I know a dyke runs down it and offers a lot of spots to get down to the canal and toss your line in without the masses.  Seems to me there could be equal opportunity??  Or are the fish just trucking through there looking to take a break in slack water???

Sorry for such a rookie question but thanks in advance for any input!!   ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Sumas and Vedder Canals - a little 101 help please?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »

The area you circled can be good tossing a spoon. Fish the incoming to catch high tide, 4 to 5 hours later than the ocean tide. If you have a boat you can take fish by trolling this area and downstream.

Enjoy.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:03:38 PM »

Further to my post downstream from where the Vedder meets the Sumas it is called the Sumas.

Taboo

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »

Further to my post downstream from where the Vedder meets the Sumas it is called the Sumas.

So technically it's the Sumas that meets the Fraser, until the Sumas meet's the Vedder, then the Vedder meets the 'Whack?  Who is on First?  ;D

Seriously thanks for the info, very much appreciated!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:36:40 PM »

So technically it's the Sumas that meets the Fraser, until the Sumas meet's the Vedder, then the Vedder meets the 'Whack?  Who is on First?  ;D

Seriously thanks for the info, very much appreciated!
You got it right the FIRST time. ;D ;D ;D

Taboo

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 02:29:31 PM »

So what about the confluence then?  The very first section of the canal that meets up with the Fraser??

BCeXtremehd

• www.bcextremehd.tv
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:26:47 AM »

At Higher water (if we get a good rain) That are circled can be deadly for Coho on blades, spoons, Flies etc...

Good Luck!!

Taboo

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »

At Higher water (if we get a good rain) That are circled can be deadly for Coho on blades, spoons, Flies etc...

Good Luck!!

You mean like the rain we had yesterday???   ??? ;D

David_R

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 07:06:41 PM »

And another rookie question, I understand it's fly only "below vedder crossing"

So, is that considered to be where keith wilson road crosses over the river. Just want to make sure because me and the wife are headed that way tommorow and will be shortfloating roe, don't want to be on the wrong side of the bridge.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 07:17:12 PM »

It is only fly only below the Vedder Crossing during the month of May. Right now you can use other fishing methods too.

Taboo

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 09:41:47 PM »

Good Luck!!

Well, all ready to hit the river tomorrow...we'll see how she goes and I'll be sure to post a report....

So how would I recognize any of you out there?????   :-\