Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing for Springs? How to? (Tidal Fraser)  (Read 1400 times)

Taboo

Fishing for Springs? How to? (Tidal Fraser)
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »

Tried Search, got nada...

What I am wondering is that now that the majority of pinkies seem to have moved through the lower Fraser and are populating the Vedder, etc., what is the best method to target Springs moving through the lower Fraser around Richmond??

Me thinks the days of pink spoons and buzz bombs are gone and I should think about going deeper where the big fish are.  Bar rig and roe?  Or??? 

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing for Springs? How to? (Tidal Fraser)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:44:39 PM »

i think there is a bait ban going on right now for targeting salmon, however you are still able to get Chinooks on spoons/spinners.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »

Chinook salmon start running through the Fraser River in May until early October. Fishing for them is generally difficult in the tidal portion of the Fraser River so not many people do it. The river is wide and deep, and the number of fish is considerably smaller than pink and sockeye salmon. That being said, two years ago many anglers were lucky enough to connect with a few big ones while pink salmon fishing. It is also pretty common to encounter a chinook jack this time of the year. With some luck, you just might find one, but for best result, bar fishing in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River and float fishing in the major tributaries such as the Chilliwack River would be much more productive.

Caution, there is currently a bait ban when fishing for salmon on the Fraser River until early October, so do not use roe unless you want a  hefty fine.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=103974&ID=recreational

Taboo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 12:58:35 PM »

Caution, there is currently a bait ban when fishing for salmon on the Fraser River until early October, so do not use roe unless you want a  hefty fine.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=103974&ID=recreational

I would NOT go against the regulations and have no intention of using roe while it is prohibited!

I guess a better stated question would be: "what is the best set up to use around Richmond (now that the pinks have mostly moved through) when I only have an hour or two to kill and do not the time to drive to the Chilliwhack?"  I realize of course that Coho is non-retention presently, but as far as I am aware catch and release is ok.

Just keep on keeping on with spoons and such??