Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout in the Vedder??????????  (Read 1407 times)

taffydoll

Trout in the Vedder??????????
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:36:02 PM »

Hi Everyone
Are there a lot of trout in the Vedder? If so what type of holding water should I be looking for.
thanks
Sandy

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Trout in the Vedder??????????
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:54:33 PM »

I have caught quite a few and seen allot more up top this summer then down below...I look for pools next to a riffle or decent current...

taffydoll

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:59:28 PM »

Thank you!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:43:55 PM »

There are both resident rainbow trout and juvenile steelhead that have yet undergone smoltification in the river. The difference is hard to tell, but one just have to remember that all wild trout and char have to be released. A wild trout or char will have its adipose fin intact while a hatchery-raised trout or char's adipose fin is missing and a healed scar is in place. If you fish the lower section, particularly in the canal area, you may also encounter cutthroat trout this time of the year. Most of the bull trout/dolly varden are caught further upstream.

Float fishing with bait such as roe or dew worm is of course very productive but rather ineffective if one chooses to catch and release since the fish tend to swallow the hook this way. An alternative would be to replace the baited hook with a small fly such as a leech or stonefly nymph. Small spinners or spoons should also work very well. For spinners, choose them with a size 2 or 3 blade. For spoons, 1/8oz or less are best. Preference in colour does not really matter, as trout and char are usually aggressive and will strike on anything that move in the water.

Good luck Sandy, maybe you'll hook a coho too. ;)