Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another productive fishing place lost  (Read 2456 times)

Morty

Another productive fishing place lost
« on: September 05, 2009, 02:05:49 PM »

Peg Leg Bar has been one of my summertime favorites for several years now.  It has provided a lot of good times, relaxation, and protein for my family.  I normally travel there by boat and fish on the West side or down in Minto Channel parallel to the dyke.

I have gone through there several times this year looking for the beaches to develop and see where the fishing channels would be.  Each time through I was surprised that I couldn't see a deeper channel on my depth sounder.  Because of the target practice that the fishers on the walk-in side like to take with their 3oz Betty's, it's not a place to linger and thoroughly scroll out the bottom.  Last Saturday when I came down from the top I was finding it difficult to locate even 3 feet of water to travel in.  At the time I wondered if the fishers on the bank really knew how little water they were attempting to fish.  Better to leave well enough alone, I decided.

Well. last night I drove out for a change to check out the setup for the long weekend gong-show.   Not as many as there would usually be, partly I guess because the first channel at the end of McSween Rd. still has tire deep water in it.  One poor fellow tried to make it through in a Toyota coupe - stuck in the middle, water to the floorboards.  While there, I witnessed 2 young men walk totally across that north-south channel and never wade through water more than knee deep.

I'm noticing that the Fraser near Chilliwack is getting wider and shallower each year.  If they need to do gravel extractions, I think it might benefit all if those responsible were to consider dredging some of the traditional channels.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Gaffer

Re: Another productive fishing place lost
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »

Peg Leg Bar has been one of my summertime favorites for several years now.  It has provided a lot of good times, relaxation, and protein for my family.  I normally travel there by boat and fish on the West side or down in Minto Channel parallel to the dyke.

I have gone through there several times this year looking for the beaches to develop and see where the fishing channels would be.  Each time through I was surprised that I couldn't see a deeper channel on my depth sounder.  Because of the target practice that the fishers on the walk-in side like to take with their 3oz Betty's, it's not a place to linger and thoroughly scroll out the bottom.  Last Saturday when I came down from the top I was finding it difficult to locate even 3 feet of water to travel in.  At the time I wondered if the fishers on the bank really knew how little water they were attempting to fish.  Better to leave well enough alone, I decided.

Well. last night I drove out for a change to check out the setup for the long weekend gong-show.   Not as many as there would usually be, partly I guess because the first channel at the end of McSween Rd. still has tire deep water in it.  One poor fellow tried to make it through in a Toyota coupe - stuck in the middle, water to the floorboards.  While there, I witnessed 2 young men walk totally across that north-south channel and never wade through water more than knee deep.

I'm noticing that the Fraser near Chilliwack is getting wider and shallower each year.  If they need to do gravel extractions, I think it might benefit all if those responsible were to consider dredging some of the traditional channels.
We"ll probably have to wait for the Fiberals to decide to scalp more gravel islands from upstream (That used to speed up the water between them creating channels) under the PROVEN LIE that the GravelGrab prevents flooding ------ By the way, dredge the upper reaches of the Fraser and you Destroy ,in river spawning Sockeye that also is a scientific fact--- Right Chris ?---- Cheers

Morty

Re: Another productive fishing place lost
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »

I didn't realize that there were any Sockeye spawining in the Fraser RIver downstream of Hope.

Dredging of Minto Channel and near Gill Island had taken place since 1948 and until 1994.  See the "Gravel Extraction Inventory for Lower Fraser River......" report at this website.

http://www.geog.ubc.ca/fraserriver/publications.html
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"