Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: basic questions on baitcasters: easier to cast with full spool or half-full?  (Read 2999 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Is it easier to cast a baitcaster with a full capacity of line reeled on or a lot less. I ask cuz' I I noticed more bird nests with lots of line and when i have less line (from cutting all the birds nests) it casts a little less easily. This could be due to using a light lead (river fishing at the chedder) and not adjusting the reel "weights" btw, what are the weights and where are they - what do i do..is it easy...do i need a tool.

sorry, this was a simple query but now..meh.

help please.

ps2..also, lately my relatively new abu6500 delays a bit when I engage the casting button...sometimes I have to physically move the spool with my thumb to make sure it is in free spool before casting - is this a cleaning issue or ??? I have not cleaned it yet this year.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer

"Is it easier to cast a baitcaster with a full capacity of line reeled on or a lot less. I ask cuz' I I noticed more bird nests with lots of line and when i have less line (from cutting all the birds nests) it casts a little less easily. "

With the spool  emptier it's a bit lighter so there's less resistance to 'starting up' that is to say inertia is less so you'll have a bit easier time- it might also be a bit more comfortable for your thumb depending how big your hand is.
Also with a full spool it takes longer to slow down thus the backlash.

"This could be due to using a light lead (river fishing at the chedder) and not adjusting the reel "weights" btw, what are the weights and where are they - what do i do..is it easy...do i need a tool."

I'm not aware of any 'weight' inside an Abu but I haven't owned one for a while now.
The knob on the side of the spool should be adjusted so that the reel slowly releases line when you hold your rig up.

"ps2..also, lately my relatively new abu6500 delays a bit when I engage the casting button...sometimes I have to physically move the spool with my thumb to make sure it is in free spool before casting - is this a cleaning issue or ??? I have not cleaned it yet this year."

Sounds like a cleaning issue nothing major.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye

A full to the brim reel will not cast as good as one with a liitle missing....something about the RPM's...not sure what.

Adjusting your cast break is easy. Point you rod skyward & press the cast button & let your gear fall to the ground. If it doesn't fall your brake is too tight. If it falls, hits the ground & your spool is still turning its too  loose.  Adjust till your gear hits the ground & your spool stops with it...good luck.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

there are two brakes - one outside and one by the handle - how do i adjust them...simultaneous?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

my reel has a star drag and a spool tension thing on the inside and outside plates of the reel. like this.  so two knobs for tension. is there a technique for adjusting that.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions

The little one on the inside is for casting.  Rule of thumb...
Tighten the little knob.  Hold your rod level and loosen the knob until the weight starts to move.  This is where you should start... now cast and see if you get a birds nest or if you can't cast enough.  Tighten it if you get a nest and loosen it if you can't cast enough.  Once you get good at casting with your thumb as the cast brake, you will not even use it.

Oh ya, leave you star drag so the you can easily pull out line.  Use your thumb on the spool as your drag.  It's much easier to adjust tention quickly.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 11:11:49 AM by grumman »

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions

Gentle now everybody, Denis is a rookie with the level wind.  Let's not abuse him too badly.  Use the tention as I suggest until you get good at casting (won't take long).  As a rookie, you'll have an easier time with it 1/2 full.

Once you have a fish on, you can adjust the star drag as needed.  Loosen it off after every fish.  Too much tension breaks line.