Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Nov18  (Read 4836 times)

charles

Re: Squamish Nov18
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 03:33:30 PM »

I thought fisherman / fisherwoman are supposed to be nice and kind toward each other :) 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »

The winter steelhead runs are comparatively smaller than the fall salmon runs that you have experienced. The Vedder River has the biggest one out of all the river systems in the Lower Mainland. Other rivers that you may wish to try out include the Chehalis, Stave, Capilano, Seymour, Squamish, Cheakamus. The season is generally from December until April, but each system has a slightly different run time. Please also be aware that there are no retention of steelhead, both hatchery and wild fish, while the Vedder allows you to keep one hatchery fish. Once the fish is kept, you must mark it on the licence and cease fishing for the day on that system.

The fishing method is pretty similar to how you would fish for salmon. The float setup is the same, the tactic is slightly different. Because there are less fish, it is advantageous to fish a run for a certain amount of time, then move onto another run. This style of fishing is more of a hunt and only a % of the anglers enjoy this aspect because it does require a lot more work.

There are several existing steelhead threads in the general discussion that contain really useful information.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12564.0

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12693.0

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8802.0

charles

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 04:01:26 PM »

catch and release is just fine by me :)  I don't eat fish and only enjoy the fight...

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »

I thought fisherman / fisherwoman are supposed to be nice and kind toward each other :) 

whatever gave you that idea ???

;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

charles

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 09:58:24 PM »

I always share my secrets when i used to fish down in the bay area for bass and calif. halibut.  Part of the fun about fishing is to share the experience of fishing.  The bs about how big the one that got away, how much hook up we had, how much fun the day went.   If no one else but me catching fish, to me it is just no fun, JM2C...

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 08:54:20 AM »

Please also be aware that there are no retention of steelhead, both hatchery and wild fish, while the Vedder allows you to keep one hatchery fish. Once the fish is kept, you must mark it on the licence and cease fishing for the day on that system.

The Chehalis is still open for retention of 1 hatchery steelhead. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:35:11 PM by Eagleye »

charles

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 09:07:57 AM »

ChromeKings:

I know what you mean.  I once told someone about a great bottom fish area.  The place was bone dried a summer later.  I used to take people out to bottom fish but I would never go back to the same spot twice nor I would empty the hole.  I like fishing as a spot so it does not make sense to me to empty a hole ( no fish will return ) or target the same hole week after week. 

But that is a little different than salmon?  I thought salmon and steelhead or alike are always on a run unlike bottom fish...

No worry though...  But let me know if you guys are ever out in the squamish this weekend...  I can come by and say hi :)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 09:49:47 PM »

Hi Charles, good to see you here!

As for Squamish steelhead ..... oh I remember me supervisor always telling me the time he went flyfishing for them and caught a few.  What I got out of it was do a lot of walking...lol good luck
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 09:54:35 PM »

As for Squamish steelhead ..... oh I remember me supervisor always telling me the time he went flyfishing for them and caught a few.  What I got out of it was do a lot of walking...lol good luck

Has any of us actually seen him catch a fish? ;)