Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: * What's up Berry's?  (Read 12788 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: What's up Berry's?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »

...  He advised that the C3 is off shore piece of "garbage".  My buddy called me and I suggested he just go with the C3.  I know this reel is made in Sweden, like the C4, and I have personal experience with my own C3's with nothing but reliable results.  So my buddy took my advice and went with the C3.  At this point, the fellow gave him a hard time.  For example, he told my buddy that "We'll see you next week when this reel breaks", or "Oh - look, it broke already" while he spooled the reel up.
If truly went down as described, this is utterly unprofessional. Offering blunt product opinion is one thing. Ridiculing customers on their purchases should not be a part of any salespersons repertoire.

If the OP decides to follow up with the owners/higher ups I would be interested to hear how they respond to these allegations.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »

FFM - why didn't you have your buddy save even more money and just buy an older C3 6500 used. There is usually a few of them being sold often enough the wait is short.

Grabbed my buddy a mint one 2 yrs ago for $75, when I say mint I mean the guy only used it once !

If someone at any shop tried that with me it would not be received well and they would know it
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fisherforever

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »

My guess is that they over bought Calcuttas and Lunas expecting lots of sales for the flossing crowd on the Fraser for a sockeye and pink opening. Forget about a sockeye opening this year! Also notice that the Fraser was supposed to open July 16/15 for chinook and that has now been pushed back to Aug 01/15. My .02

baowu2

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »

My buddy of mine had a terrible experience there with the Okuma reel.  should he notice Lance, or Mike about it?!! haha
Was bought new, and  was suggested to him by Lance as a salmon reel for it's "purpose", after broken down several times(manufacture defect?) and brought back for services, He said after all it's a trout reel.... the most ridiculous nonsense that I have ever heard dealing with them!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:19:47 PM by baowu2 »

VA7DDP

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 12:24:38 AM »

I have personally never had issue with Berrys'; you can email Michele at support@berrysbait.com

Usually I like to deal with Marco, exceptional service from him.

The Abu Garcia C3 is still made in Sweden, but personally I prefer the feel of the older ones; but still is my go to recommendation for a baitcaster for under 200.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:32:21 AM by VA7DDP »

Pin-nook

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

Must be a new counter person cause there's no way any of the original staff would steer you to buy something else! I rarely shop there(mainly distance...) but the times I do go, the staff has been great and can find what I'm looking for without the typical sales pressure you get elsewhere.

Sagefishr

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

The difference between the new abu's and the old abu's is the parts inside, the old one have half metal and half plastic, the news ones have majoritity plastic hence the cheap price.  The Calcutta and Luna's frame are made from solid stock brass hence the price difference. Berrys is a alright shop,  your comparing apples and oranges in reels, you can say sales might be up selling, but in relality you buy the higher end stuff it'll last a life time if used and taken care of properly.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: What's up Berry's? UPDATE
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »

I met my buddy today and it turns out there was a problem with the reel.  He called Mike and was told to just come in and they'll make it right.  So he went in and met with Len, and they switched out the reel with a new Abu C3 and spooled on new line.  He also met with the individual who apologized.  After a good hand shake, all is good.  So - thank-you to Berry's for making things right.  My buddy feels much better about the situation now.    :)

bunnta

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »

only issue i had there was a new employee didn't want to print my license for me so i went around and purchased something else and came back to the cashier and saw michelle. She asked if i needed anything else so i mentioned the license situation and she printed it with no problem whatsoever . She said they will always print licenses if a customer needed it otherwise a day of fishing for them would be ruined. Never saw that fella again, poor guy  :-\. I personally never had any bad experience with anyone there, although i find sea-run service more newbie friendly.

Drewhill

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »

only issue i had there was a new employee didn't want to print my license for me so i went around and purchased something else and came back to the cashier and saw michelle. She asked if i needed anything else so i mentioned the license situation and she printed it with no problem whatsoever . She said they will always print licenses if a customer needed it otherwise a day of fishing for them would be ruined. Never saw that fella again, poor guy  :-\. I personally never had any bad experience with anyone there, although i find sea-run service more newbie friendly.

A lot of tackle shops won't issue a license in store anymore and will tell you to get it online.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »

A lot of tackle shops won't issue a license in store anymore and will tell you to get it online.

Yeah, crappy ones.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »

Good to hear all is resolved and happy. I recommend editing your original post with an *at the beginning noting all is resolved. Just so future people don't google read and get scared off :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 09:22:55 PM »

Good to hear all is resolved and happy. I recommend editing your original post with an *at the beginning noting all is resolved. Just so future people don't google read and get scared off :)

Yep...done.  Thanks Fishing Lad for the suggestion.

bunnta

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »

yes but they will still have a pc ready for ppl to purchase them at the spot. hence what flytech said, crappy stores won't have a pc ready.

sbc hris

Re: * What's up Berry's?
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »

The newer abu's are apparently assembled in Sweden, with cheap parts made in China. I've heard this a few times now, from different reputable people. Apparently they are a far cry from what they used to be.