Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: * What's up Berry's?  (Read 12790 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
* What's up Berry's?
« on: July 11, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »

* UPDATE - July 13, 2015 - All is Resolved.  Thanks to Berry's for making things right!

ORIGINAL POST - July 11, 2015

A buddy of mine was interested in buying his first baitcaster.  He didn't want to spend a ton of money, and I suggested an Abu Garcia C3 5500 as a good reel for small to medium sized rivers (like the Vedder/Chilliwack).  One of the places I suggested he try was Berry's Bait & Tackle.  Now first - I realize the Abu Garcia C3 is not on the same level as a Shimano Calcutta or Daiwa Luna.  But I own two such reels (5500 and 6500) and they are in great shape.  In fact, after upgrading to ceramic bearings, they are the BOMB!  In my experience, I feel the C3 is a good reel, with the added bonus of being so common that it is very easy to obtain replacement parts or upgrade components.  Plus I know how to completely strip them apart, clean, and put back together - which of course I would be happy to assist my buddy with doing.

Now, my buddy went to Berry's today and asked for an Abu C3 5500 like I suggested.  The fellow he spoke to tried to persuade him to stay away from the Abu Garcia C3 and go with either a Diawa or Quantum baitcaster (models are unknown to me at this point).  He advised that the C3 is off shore piece of "garbage".  My buddy called me and I suggested he just go with the C3.  I know this reel is made in Sweden, like the C4, and I have personal experience with my own C3's with nothing but reliable results.  So my buddy took my advice and went with the C3.  At this point, the fellow gave him a hard time.  For example, he told my buddy that "We'll see you next week when this reel breaks", or "Oh - look, it broke already" while he spooled the reel up.  Bottom line - my buddy left feeling very unsatisfied, but he did end up with a new C3 and I supported him on the purchase.

Now I don't want to criticize Berry's.  I know the owners and the guys there and they are great guys.  But what gives?  Why the hard sell on the Quantum or Diawa?  I know Abu Garcia came out with a new redesigned model for the C3 just last year (I bought a 6600 C4 myself last year and it rocks).  Is there an issue with the new model?

Any thoughts guys?  What my buddy experienced at Berry's was not anything I've ever experienced there - and this post is NOT intended to criticize Berry's.  But I feel partly responsible since I suggested them as a good place to start.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:21:58 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: What's up Berry's?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »

If C3 are so bad, why the hell they still put it on display and sell it ?   Mostly is the mark up $$$$  ;)   

PaulyD

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »

Had almost the same experience there last year when i went there to buy some wading boots. The salesperson refused to tell me anything about any other brands then simms and at the time my financial situation didnt allow me to spend that much he would barely acknowledge me after i said i couldnt afford the simms  long story short he made me feel like a loser and for that reason i will never shop there again . Im sure this is isolated to just one bad apple because before i got this guy the service was great i bet it was the same dude 'helping' your buddy

Humpy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 05:01:52 PM »

I've had nothing but great experiences while shopping at Berry's.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

lapa

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »

I've had nothing but great experiences while shopping at Berry's.
  X2

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »

Maybe some one new is on commission.
As said earlier,  if it was crap why even have it on the shelf?

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »

There's one or two fellas who are quite particular. They're all good guys though.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »

My advice is to talk to Mike, Len or Michele about it because you're talking about one employee's action, not the entire store. Posting it here doesn't solve the problem as the store is not going to respond to you publicly, instead it just taints the reputation of a great store because of one bad apple. :) Let us know the outcome though once this is brought to their attention.

Animal Chin

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »

Hahaha...Berry's is Berry's, they are who they are. Depends on who you get and their mood at the time. My buddy had a similar experiences. Him growing up in Richmond remembers some of their advice from when he was starting out and now that he know a bit more has a good laugh.

Having said that, I do like some of the guys in there and it's convenient. I just wouldn't send in anyone inexperienced. They're like old school grumpy good ole boys who man the "local" tackle shop. It has it's charms.

I'd send a new fisher to SeaRun (especially for gear) or Pacific Angler or Michael and Young on Broadway. More consistent with modern expectations of "customer service" for a lack of a better term.

I still like 'em though, not hating .. just my opinion...

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »

I was in there last year buying certain flasher my step father requested. They also gave me a "hard time" buying that model and tried so hard to push me to another flasher. I flat out was rude and said "can you stop? This is the one he wants, this is the one I'm buying him".

And this was the Chinook I caught with that flasher.

But that being said, retail outlets tend to have bad staff when it gets busy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:14:46 AM by Flytech »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 09:00:41 AM »

My advice is to talk to Mike, Len or Michele about it because you're talking about one employee's action, not the entire store. Posting it here doesn't solve the problem as the store is not going to respond to you publicly, instead it just taints the reputation of a great store because of one bad apple. :) Let us know the outcome though once this is brought to their attention.

Hey Rod.  You point is well taken.  I did state in my post that this was NOT intended to be a criticism of Berrys, and I certainly do not expect a response from the store publicly. I was curious about a couple of things:

1.  is there something I'm missing about the new C3, or does anyone know of a Quantum or Diawa baitcaster in approximately the same price range that is so much better?

2. has anyone else experienced a similar experience?  I certainly have not had any such experiences or heard of any from Berrys.  I've been going there since Scott and Roy were running the fly fishing section, and when I go in there, I always feel welcome.  I was quite surprised to hear of what my buddy experienced.  It was interesting to see a few posters here did experience some "interesting" experiences.  I particularly like Flytech's response!  :D

I will contact Mike, Len, or Michelle and inform them of what happened so they are aware.  I'm not 100% sure of which individual was involved, but I know for certain is was not any of the guys I know quite well (the "other" Mike, Marco, or Kevin all of who are great guys).

redder

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »

@Flytech

Nice fish.

PaulyD

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »

It was definitly not any of the aforementioned guys named in this discussion in my experience, but im not about to single out the guy online in a public forum . Im sure most know who the 'particular' fella is , maybe he should think about retiring before he tarnishes the good name Berrys has made for itself all these years ..

banx

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »

The swedes make great reels. You would be hard pressed to find a better quality reel for the same price.

Especially the availability of parts and relatively cheap upgrades. Hopefully it was a one off experience where an employee was having a crappy day.

Your friend always has the option to take his hard earned money elsewhere. And a thread like this should show the owners the importance of customer service and the power of social media.... It's an unfortunate learning experience.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 10:38:49 AM »

Like Flyfishin Magician I've been a regular customer of Berry's since the days of Scott and Roy. Have never experience anything other than top notch service. Have never had anyone try to force to sell me anything.