Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Hooks for salmon fishing  (Read 12716 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Best Hooks for salmon fishing
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »

I really like Matzou's in the octopus style. They have a great shape and are super sharp. Can't beat the price either at 8.99 for 100. Their size 4's are awesome because of the oversized eye = good for trailers on flies and spoons. I tend to use the 1's or 1/0's bait fishing.

Haven't had a single problem with the Matzou's yet really... Lots of people complain about their tips bending out on snags... not a big deal for me as it just forces me to change up and I feel I lose less fish as a result. I also carry a hook file and 2 swipes on the hook file they are just as sharp as out of the package even after the tip has bent.

These Matzou hooks are a good price and Very sharp. But they are GARBAGE. The tips bend out very easily, If you arnt snagging bottom, It will usually bend out after a fish or two. BUT THEY ARE SUPER SHARP (which is the only reason Iv used them/ Light biters).

But since you ended up having to change the hook every couple fish, I imagine they end up being the same price as buying a high quality hook in the end.

The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »

These Matzou hooks are a good price and Very sharp. But they are GARBAGE. The tips bend out very easily, If you arnt snagging bottom, It will usually bend out after a fish or two. BUT THEY ARE SUPER SHARP (which is the only reason Iv used them/ Light biters).

But since you ended up having to change the hook every couple fish, I imagine they end up being the same price as buying a high quality hook in the end.

Grab a hook file, 2 swipes and the point is just as sharp.
It doesn't bend out much, and it's normally the very tip. I still haven't had one bend out on a fish, just on bottom.
This year I had one on a spoon for at least 40 fish without having to touch it up once.
Guess it depends how you use them. I'd recommend them to anyone, and they are all I will ever use from now on.

zap brannigan

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »

My one gripe with matzuo's is the barb breaking off when crimped down, their bait hooks, siwash, and jig hooks do it.

gmachine19

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »

Used Matzuo size 1 & 2 octopus sickle hooks (made from China and not Korea) all season. I didn't have any problems with them. The only time they bend on me is when I snag a fish (happened twice or 3x this season). Which is good because it's an automatic release.
You should've been here yesterday!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »

If cost is not an issue, Owner octopus are pretty much the best stuff available.
Gammies are also good and a little cheaper.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »

Owners and Gammies size 1 when short floating with roe for coho/steelhead at the canal where you don't snag up much and so you don't lose many hooks. Switch to cheaper Vision hooks for areas with rocks and snags and keep filing them for sharpness and expect to lose more  hooks. For blades and spoons, Gammies siwash 1 or 1/O for size 3 blades (for coho), and Gammies 2/O & 3/O for size 6-7 blades (for steelhead).

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »

I really like Matzou's in the octopus style. They have a great shape and are super sharp. Can't beat the price either at 8.99 for 100. Their size 4's are awesome because of the oversized eye = good for trailers on flies and spoons. I tend to use the 1's or 1/0's bait fishing.

Haven't had a single problem with the Matzou's yet really... Lots of people complain about their tips bending out on snags... not a big deal for me as it just forces me to change up and I feel I lose less fish as a result. I also carry a hook file and 2 swipes on the hook file they are just as sharp as out of the package even after the tip has bent.

Every Day: when you're sharpening your hook do you go up the hook (towards the eye) or down the hook (towards the bend)? Does it matter? I have a small diamond file I got as a gift and it seems to work well. I normally use the grove it has, hold the hook in my left hand by the bend, and stroke up towards the eye 2-3 times, then test it on my skin. If it's "sticky sharp" it's back to fishing.

I tried the Matzuo octupus hooks from Cabellas this year in size 4, 2, 1 and 1/0 (bought a 25 pack of each to try them out, although 100 is a way better deal). I find they are totally fine and caught lots of fish. Like you said the tips are a bit soft but a file will fix it most of the time.

Personally when fishing steelhead I'm going to use top quality hooks like Gammy or Owner as if I manage to hook one I want every advantage I can get! For targeting pinks, coho, springs and chum I'm going to use the Matzuo hooks as they are cheap if you snap them off on snags etc and they are more than sufficent for catching fish in such plentiful #s.

kalex60

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »

Maruto sickle hooks
Owner as well
Gamakatsu have gone down hill not what the used to be

CoastRider

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »

Owners every time, Don't wanna lose that fish of a lifetime because you didn't spend an extra dime on your hook! If you aren't snagging bottom, the price difference is minimal over the course of a season

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »

Every Day: when you're sharpening your hook do you go up the hook (towards the eye) or down the hook (towards the bend)? Does it matter? I have a small diamond file I got as a gift and it seems to work well. I normally use the grove it has, hold the hook in my left hand by the bend, and stroke up towards the eye 2-3 times, then test it on my skin. If it's "sticky sharp" it's back to fishing.

I have a small file as well. I use the grove also. Hold the hook and swipe the hook up the file, so I guess technically I am swiping towards the point of the hook (point faces me and I swipe up away from me). Seems to work well, really with the matzou's, all you are trying to do is straighten the very tip out again, you're not even really sharpening it.

Personally when fishing steelhead I'm going to use top quality hooks like Gammy or Owner as if I manage to hook one I want every advantage I can get! For targeting pinks, coho, springs and chum I'm going to use the Matzuo hooks as they are cheap if you snap them off on snags etc and they are more than sufficent for catching fish in such plentiful #s.

So far, in the past 3 trips, I'm 14 for 14 on steelies with the matzou hooks. I've only broken off 4 times and haven't changed a single hook yet due to sharpness/bending, so for all 14 fish, I have only used 5 hooks total. I wouldn't say I have had a single problem hooking or landing fish as of yet, and after the this past fall of using them and having my landing ratio sky rocket (I think due to the wide gap and how lazer sharp they are), I won't ever be using anything else. At this point it isn't even due to price any more.

I also like how they come barbless for the same price and still maintain the exact same shape and sharpness. Cuts down on any guesswork on whether or not the barb is pinched enough as the CO's/DFO's out here will run your hook through their wool glove 3-4 times to make sure no fibres catch.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:56:38 PM by Every Day »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »

Coast Rider, just curious...do you use Owner needle point or cutting point? I think the cutting point are suppoused to be "better" and I believe are more expensive.

HOOK: Haha sorry it's been a long day and I'm having trouble visualizing which direction your file is going. Do you think matters if you sharpen "up" or "down?" The following might help me get a better image....are you sharpening your hooks in the direction that a fish would get hooked (on the point, then down to the gap), or, are you going the way a fish would come off a hook (from the bend towards the tip)?

It seems to me that since you are keeping the file stationary and moving the hook up the file likely holding it by the shank, in which case it would be the way/direction a fish would come off the hook. In that case, I sharpen the same way only I hold the hook stationary and swipe the file 2-3 time up the hook towards the eye. At the end of the day, do you think it matters at all???

And holy crap is that 14 steelies this year?!?!

I'll give the matzuo octupus hooks a better run next salmon season, but for steelhead I'm going to go with with what I have the most experience/confidence in for sure, and that's the gammy or owner octupus.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

It seems to me that since you are keeping the file stationary and moving the hook up the file likely holding it by the shank, in which case it would be the way/direction a fish would come off the hook.

And holy crap is that 14 steelies this year?!?!

Yes, that is what I do. I don't think it matters, as long as it gets sharp again. Doesn't matter how you get to the final product I don't think.

And yes, 14 in the past 3 trips. Most of them are late summer/fall run fish. The island has a lot of rivers with fish entering the system in late October/early November  ;)  :-X Beautiful chrome fish with nice rosy cheeks and that perfect pink tinge down their side.