Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foul Hook Question  (Read 12698 times)

TacoChris

Re: Foul Hook Question
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

Not sure what the logic in this is. If you accidentally foul hook a fish why do they differentiate between the ocean and others areas? Foul hooked fish in my experience are harder to bring in and more likely to die due the prolonged fight or have damage from the hook. From a conservation point of view it has always made little sense to me to put back a damaged fish to then target a healthy one.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »

why do they differentiate between the ocean and others areas?

I imagine it's because it's MUCH more difficult to snag a coho in the ocean vs. the river... If you could keep snagged fish the local streams would probably resemble Alaska when the sockeye are running. ... as if it's not bad enough already :P

A rig out of water catches no fish.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »

Considering how easy it is to hook a salmon in the mouth I wonder why you would keep one that is foul hooked... unless it is bleeding and not likely to survive. However, that said, I think in a "harvest fishery" we should just kill the first two salmon we catch by ANY method and then quit for the day. Continually catching and releasing fish while using the same method gets boring after a while. Once I've caught a few with one fly I'll switch to using other flies and different methods.

However, a lot of funny (odd) things happen when you are fishing. I've "lassoed" steelhead and salmon around the tail and actually landed them with no hook set at all. I've lassoed them around the lower jaw the same way. Once on the Cheakamus in the fast water at Cheekeye my hook went through the eye of a swivel attached to a leader broken off by another angler. I landed that steelhead. I wondered why I suddenly had a 20 foot long leader below my float, until I saw what happened. What are the odds of a hook going through a tiny swivel eye in a fast current?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 01:24:37 AM »

...I think in a "harvest fishery" we should just kill the first two salmon we catch by ANY method and then quit for the day...
You cant be serious. Why would you want to encourage and even legitimize snagging as a method of bringing in fish?

TNAngler

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 06:15:11 AM »

now how about tidal fraser is that ocean.?

A salmon intentionally or accidentally foul hooked in
any lake or stream including the tidal portions of coastal streams, must
be released immediately to the water from which it was caught with the
least amount of harm.

Cannot foul hook there.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »

so the tital fraser is a coastal stream.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »

Coastal stream = A stream that feeds into the ocean.

Fraser River = Coastal stream

Tidal portion of the Fraser River = Tidal portion of a coastal stream

notracy

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 05:22:36 PM »

A week ago I had a pink Salmon take my fly. Jumped a couple of times, and then on the way to the beach all of a sudden lead into the beach backwards. As he hit the beach i could see the hook in his mouth, but my leader wrapped around his tail a couple of times, so essentially i was leading him by the tail. SO we hit the beach and I hear a guy a few feet away yelling "FOUL HOOK" at me, completely embarrassing me in front of a ton of people. I didn't keep the fish as I was now questioning it as well as out of sheer embarrassment and guilt for tangling this fish. My fly was right in the corner of his mouth from the inside out.
But it has left me wondering if this fish was actually foul hooked? Did my line get wrapped around this fish and the hook end up in his mouth? or the other way around, hook in the mouth then the wrap? Any suggestions?

aaron600

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »

Sounds like some people are trying to act like cops on the Fraser. If I had a guy yelling foul hook every time he THINKS he saw a foul hook, it would be damn annoying to listen to all day. I think you did the right thing considering you need to keep up a healthy image and you don't want to cast doubt in some on lookers mind. If it was my fish and the hook was in it's mouth I would have bonked it on the head and marched it over to him and given him a piece of my mind. That is just me though.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »

The fish simply rolled and wrapped itself a few times during the fight. This is especially common for coho salmon, which is pretty much a suicide for them. I've had coho salmon rolling during the fight and by the time it came to shore, it had wrapped itself several times, not just around the leader, but the lead, then a couple of feet of the main line.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

I've had coho roll themselves so badly that they make it past the float with how much line is around them !!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »

A week ago I had a pink Salmon take my fly. Jumped a couple of times, and then on the way to the beach all of a sudden lead into the beach backwards. As he hit the beach i could see the hook in his mouth, but my leader wrapped around his tail a couple of times, so essentially i was leading him by the tail. SO we hit the beach and I hear a guy a few feet away yelling "FOUL HOOK" at me, completely embarrassing me in front of a ton of people. I didn't keep the fish as I was now questioning it as well as out of sheer embarrassment and guilt for tangling this fish. My fly was right in the corner of his mouth from the inside out.
But it has left me wondering if this fish was actually foul hooked? Did my line get wrapped around this fish and the hook end up in his mouth? or the other way around, hook in the mouth then the wrap? Any suggestions?

Yeah, it is too bad you felt pressured to release a fair hooked fish because of some CO wannabe, but we do need to do our part to help monitor poaching.  That guy was unfortunately too lazy to actually come over to you to see if it was actually foul hooked.  If he was only a few feet away, you could have asked him to come look to see if it was foul hooked as he was so sure it was.  Point out to him that a foul HOOK refers to where the hook is (it must be in the mouth), not whether the line is wrapped around the fish or not (and no it did not get wrapped around the fish and the hook end up in its mouth...try lassoing a fish with your line on purpose some time).  Do not be shy about embarrassing him either as you school him on what "foul hook" means.

I've had coho roll themselves so badly that they make it past the float with how much line is around them !!

What are you doing using a float...traitor. :o

Not all those who wander are lost

koifish

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »

What if the hook or fly is hooked in its cheek? I mean like where the mouth is and the above lip part is that foul?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:06 PM »

What if the hook or fly is hooked in its cheek? I mean like where the mouth is and the above lip part is that foul?

Anything not in the mouth is foul.
Not all those who wander are lost

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »

--the intent of the rule is to prevent intentional snagging.. thus trolling in the ocean is presumed low risk for intentional snagging...
--one could still snag in the ocean by casting into a school or jig fishing.

--the concept of fishing is to entice a willful take of the lure or fly. in some areas by law in USA and in some areas by interpretation of enforcement a willful take includes hooked outside of the mouth in the area of the head. Some fishing rigs with (short) trailing hook are intended for the fish to make a willful strike at the lure and have hook on outside of mouth... in some areas especially where catch & release is the norm this would allow for quick release... also dependent upon the hook size, shape and leader length plus skill of the fisher.

--rules have to be made such that the majority or an acceptable number follow the rule and the intent to allow for predictable fisheries management.

--unlike other sports we do not have the luxury of a referee present to give immediate judgment thus take away the responsibility from the fisher. In a sport like curling there is a referee but the initial call can and is usually made by the player... similar to golf where in competition there are judges but again often the infraction or initial interpretation is up to the player.. ie. seeing ball move etc.

--it is up to you how you want to play the game... but if you get to far out in your interpretations there will come a time when others will judge your actions.

--some ad-hear to the higher standard of perception of guilt... the example given here was that a person knew they did not foul hook the fish as they could see the hook and also knew the way the fish behaved that it rolled into the leader after being hooked.

--at some stage we have to set an example... the foul hook caller could like the replay in hockey review their decision by taking a better look thus affirming the interpretation of the fisher or not.

--there are many standards to which we can hold ourselves accountable... for example how would a reasonable and knowledgeable person. the person has to be both reasonable and knowledgeable... a reasonable person may tend to stick more closely to the written rule whereas a reasonable and knowledgeable person may bring in past experience including the intent of the rule and how it is generally applied.

--in most cases it is up to you especially when there is no referee