Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are roe bags killing Steelhead?  (Read 12795 times)

fintail1

• got milt?
Re: Are roe bags killing Steelhead?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 07:21:12 PM »

that's why i use the skein in a bait loop, it's alot quicker and easier and i do just fne with it
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

Morty

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

With so many opinions it appears there's a lot of uncertainty. 

Maybe Rodney could qualitfy for a government grtant and do some research and find this stuff out for sure.  Ottawa would likely approve a  6 to 7 figures toward saving a dwindling species.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 10:26:07 PM »

I love all these armchair scientists...on both sides here. 

What's poisonous to one species may not be toxic to another...who knows if the cures and borax are toxic.  As well, most plastics etc are resistant to acid so who knows if indeed a roe bag can be digested...if not, can it be passed...if not passed is it harmful?  Who knows....all I can tell you is that I haven't encountered any dead steelhead washed up on the river (after 15+ years of steelheading).

With so many unanswered questions, I think it is dangerous to propose fixes that may actually offer no benefit to the fish!?!  After all, if they banned roe bags, then whats next, roe, pink worms, lead weights, etc, etc, etc.

The first part of this qoute is interesting because I am now wondering that if you guys are saying borax may be harmful to some species but maybe not Steelhead, then what about the WD40 that some guys use on their ghost shrimp, roe bags, etc.... WD40 is harmful to us but is it harmful to fish  ???.... there could be a lot of things that are but we seem to be more interested in catching fish rather than protecting them.

Cheers,
Dan

Secondly last year was my first year fishing for Steelies ever and I found about a 14 pound wild Steelhead dead, washed up on the river bank about 2 feet from the edge after the river had risen then receded when we had that blow out last year..... Maybe it just got stuck  ??? Who knows but I sure wasnt gonna be caught cutting open the stomach of a wild Steelhead in my first year  ;)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 11:06:04 PM »

Who knows but I sure wasnt gonna be caught cutting open the stomach of a wild Steelhead in my first year  ;)

ya no kidding, you have to steelhead at least 5 years before you can do that
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

umpo4

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 01:56:34 PM »

The bait/scent ban is coming..........Alaska has had it off and on thru out the season for years.........We still catch fish ......

drh

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »

Yup, I think Dion hit the nail on the head on this one.I belive as soon as steelies bite down on something , anything foriegn, they're trying to spit and not swallow.
I've been curiosly squeezing out fishes stomachs that Ive bonked since I was A young lad and rarely have I found Jensen eggs,a small piece of a pink worm once,only a cig. butt once,lots of styrafoam beads in several different fish,but mostly in the aggresive suicidal  Stelies ,they're somachs are jammed with bugs and roe and shrimp.Oh ya one this year had one of C.G.s pro cured prawns in it's belly ;D

vulture9

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »

I don't think so,cause you would think people would be talking about the dead fish they saw.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »

Roe bags aren't the problem...the problem with bait is the fish has a hard time NOT biting down on it everytime it passes by...When your talking about wild steelhead on systems that are trying to recover or are fragile in the first place, the stress of the fight and the build up of acids are what can and does cause the mortality of the fish...

While I hate seeing this happen to wilds in the vedder, the system is stocked with hatcheries so that you can retain your fish...It's hard for me to personally say that banning roe would be better for the fish as pink worms etc littering the river bottom doesn't seem to be a better solution IMHO...

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »

I have commented on this in the past.For the record I only use skein on steelhead.I remember and possibly some of the other guys here seeing a pile of pink worms gooey bobs and plastic eggs on display at Freds on season about ten years ago.The caption read these all came from the belly of one steelhead!So mesh that breaks down or plastic that plugs up digestive tracts? I fly fish lots and I doubt that chemicals used to cure fly materials are any less toxic than many natural products.
Riverman

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »

Fish is really hard!

Someone did an experiment: Observe fish which swallow hooks, the species include carp, crucian, bass, trout and etc. the result is: all fish--100%, spit out hooks in 48 hours.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 11:04:24 AM »

hmmmmmm

i have only come across 1 dead steelhead on the bottom in about 2 1/2 feet of water with a few holes poked in it from the birds no doubt. natural causes??

i was helping spawn a couple of winter runs a few years ago and one of them did spit out a rubber worm. no telling how long it had been in there. after the spawning we let them go and they were OK.

i would like to think that these fish are stronger and smarter then we think. all i try to do is leave as little behind as possable short float so i don't leave much gear on the bottom. plain roe instead of bags those dam things are every where.

have fun out there and pick up your and others garbage. ;D
girls suck throw rocks at them!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 12:49:09 PM »

I would like to propose a hook ban. ;)
http://

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 02:39:49 PM »

i would like to think that these fish are stronger and smarter then we think.

they maybe strong... but they are as far from smart as you can get.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 07:19:09 AM »

close...how bout a hook size reg...#16 single egg only....oh...that would put most "steelheaders" outta action.... :D :D :D

mojo noodle that... ;D
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »

close...how bout a hook size reg...#16 single egg only....oh...that would put most "steelheaders" outta action.... :D :D :D

mojo noodle that... ;D
I do have a 6 weight fly rod built into a spinning rig that I use for lesser Gods.....
http://