Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are roe bags killing Steelhead?  (Read 12794 times)

Morty

Are roe bags killing Steelhead?
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »

Over the years that I have been reading this site I gotten a real sense that most contributors are highly in favor of good stewardship towards the fishes we hunt.  I've got to wondering lately if we should be using roe bags for steelhead.

I sometimes see old roe bags lying amongst the rocks at the edge of the river and the "fabric" seems pretty resilient.  We often hear and read reports of fish taking a roe bag and not being hooked nor landed.  Do they swallow them?  Do they break down once they're in a fish's gut?   

I'm thinking roe bags may be OK for Chinook and Coho that are going to die after they spawn.  but what about steelhead?  Steelhead are supposed to return to the ocean and spawn again one day.  Are we accidentally killing some of the wilds by using synthetic roe bag materials?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

PaulE

Re: Are roe bags killing Steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:54:46 PM »

Yep.

One more reason to use a fly.  ;D

p. (as if I needed another reason)

fyrslyer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »

i doubt it

steeleagle

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

I agree, there should  be bait bans on most lower mainland streams ( only when fishing for steelhead ). More of a challenge plus not as many smelly fishermen walking the banks. I guess pink worms are no better, but you don't always lose them to the fish, mostly to the river bottom.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »

I find 95% of the time the roebag just pops and the mesh stays on the hook....I guess it all depends how you rig them.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:00:25 PM »

I find 95% of the time the roebag just pops and the mesh stays on the hook....I guess it all depends how you rig them.

My experience as well.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:10:17 PM »

What about the chemicals used to cure the eggs? Do you think that could poison the fish?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »

stomach acid + roe bag mesh= shite

I tend to agree.

Also if you've ever actually watched steelhead take single eggs and roe they don't actually swallow. They just bite down and then spit it out.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:09 AM »

Borax is a very good poison for all manner of critters.    Probably fish as well.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 08:18:27 AM »

I love all these armchair scientists...on both sides here. 

What's poisonous to one species may not be toxic to another...who knows if the cures and borax are toxic.  As well, most plastics etc are resistant to acid so who knows if indeed a roe bag can be digested...if not, can it be passed...if not passed is it harmful?  Who knows....all I can tell you is that I haven't encountered any dead steelhead washed up on the river (after 15+ years of steelheading).

With so many unanswered questions, I think it is dangerous to propose fixes that may actually offer no benefit to the fish!?!  After all, if they banned roe bags, then whats next, roe, pink worms, lead weights, etc, etc, etc.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 08:52:29 AM »

Roe bags don't kill steelhead.  People kill steelhead. Kinda in the same way guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Haven't seen any dead steelhead (other than those bonked by people and maybe the odd one half eaten by some critter) washed up on the bank.  And for those that I've seen killed by people, cause of death was usually being bonked on the head although while not a forensics expert, the gills being ripped out, was probably a contributing factor.  As to the odd one half eaten, since I didn't do an autopsy on the  fish, I don't know what killed them. 

I've fished for and killed rainbows in small lakes and after cleaning them, found cigarette butts inside the stomach.  So, while roe bags may or may not be good for them if ingested, I'm not 100% certain it's killing them either.  And without any kind of forensic data supporting a mortality rate based on ingested roe bags, I don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor to start changing the regulations.  On the other hand, if the Vedder went to a bait ban, I would be fine with that too since I'm swinging flies these days anyways.   ;D
President Club S. C. & P.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »

does marabou kill steelhead? the chemicals used to colour it are HIGHLY poisonous to fish and should be banned  :D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

mr.pink

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 02:34:31 PM »

something to think about.i wouldn't mind if they had a province wide bait ban,but they should have done it years ago,when there was still salmon/steelhead to save.now it's kind of too late...

ps.this is just my opinion,not trying start flame fest.

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »

oh my god

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »