Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boating on the Fraser  (Read 8143 times)

hamster

Boating on the Fraser
« on: September 07, 2011, 11:29:31 PM »

My freind and I were thinking about taking his 12 foot motorboat on the Fraser river. Specifically, going from Boat Launch Island 22 and traveling upstream to the Harrison. I've been out on the Fraser/Harrison with another buddy who had a 20foot boat and it handled great.  But since I'm a bank fisherman and not well-versed in boating AND not too familiar with the Fraser or Harrison rivers I was hoping to get some advice.  Would a 12 foot craft do OK on the Fraser traveling up the Harrison?  If not, might there be another boat launch suggestion?   All advice is greatly appreciated.   Obviously, life vests are a no-brainer.  THANK YOU!

fullahead

Re: Boating on the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:37:33 AM »

Hamster
             My advice takes your boat to Kilby park boat launch, and head up river. You can always row back down river. Yes you could run a twelve-foot boat with a prop and sounder in the Fraser. The river is dropping now be careful.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:56:12 AM »

I would stop in a fishing shop and ask for a river map, pointing out dangers.  As example a out a mile east of Island 22, Near north bank, is deep water with hazards. 

greese30

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:43:12 AM »

if the 12 'er has some width and stability i would do it... my boat on the other hand is a very narrow 12' lund.  the whirlies and swooshes of the fraser tumble me something scary.

Copper Koski

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »

What size motor are you running? A 9.9 H.P would be decent, but I have seen smaller.  As long as you use common sense and don't overload your boat you should be fine. Be careful around the mouth of the Harrison  there are some shallow spots in the middle and the water can get quite turbulent.

gman

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »

The Fraser has low visibility and the depth is uncertain. You can be in the middel of the river, far from shore and ride up on a submergerd island (invisible). I presonnaly once did this near the mouth of the Harrison.

I suggest:
have a depth sounder with the depth alarm set.
always wear a lifejacket.
be prepared to bang up a prop (spare).
proceed with caution

It helps a lot if you go where other boats go as many will now where the channels are (but beware of following a jet with your prop!).
Have fun! :D

longstone

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »

Gman's suggestions are great.  I would also add a change of underwear to that list.   ;)   The confluence of the Harrison and the Fraser can be a very tricky spot if you are unfamiliar with it.  A buddy of mine chunked his prop big time despite having been been through it numerous times.  A sounder is of limited benefit.  There are many spots on the river where you can go from 20 feet of water to 18 inches in less than a boat length.  Good luck.

welsh wizard

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »

kilby boat launch
perfect if your fishing the harrison

lots2learn

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »

if the 12 'er has some width and stability i would do it... my boat on the other hand is a very narrow 12' lund.  the whirlies and swooshes of the fraser tumble me something scary.
I agree, width matters.  Im in the same boat with my... Boat.  If i have a buddy along for the ride i have to be very careful. Ive been out in the fraser with buddy but that was the first and last time!  Not worth the risk

Paulo

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »

I would agree with launching at Kilby if the Harrison is where you want to fish. If you go this year depending how far upstream you go, you'll have to pay atention just upstream of the #7 highway bridge. The river is quite high. If you stray to far to the left towards the golf course you will simply wind up in a shallow bay. If you stray too far to the right the same thing will happen. Take your time and you will be fine. Your boat should be fine for the Harrison. I run out of two boats depending where I'm going, what I'm doing and who is coming. I have a 12' Princecraft with a 15h Yamaha. (Used to have a 9, the 15 is ideal for this boat and running rivers.) I have gone from Kilby to just past Rosedale bridge with this boat. The other is a quite old but good condition 17' fiberglass runabout with a 90 Yamaha. I much prefer the bigger boat in the Fraser but when charting new waters its still scary. First time out even with a sounder " GO SLOW", give yourelf some reaction time. I would also stay away from the Harrison/Fraser confluence with a 12' and 9h. My two cents, enjoy and be safe.

poper

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »

Launch at at kilby guaranteed 8 pinks!!For the 2 of you.

hamster

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »

Great Advice!  That's why I love FWR.  Sounds like we will be launching out of Kilby and heading upstream. Smart thinking!  Since we've caught our fair share of Pinks already, I thought we'd target another species around middle of October.  Thanks for the tip about stopping at a fish/tackle shop for extra advice.  It's been a while and can't remember exactly where it is on the harrison we are going - I know it when I see it. I do remember going past a bunch of old pilings, though.  Not sure if that is upstream of the #7 bridge or not.  Any ideas? THANKS! :)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »

That is upstream of the Hwy7 bridge.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

hamster

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »

That is upstream of the Hwy7 bridge.

Can I assume that that the Rosedale bridge is the same as the Hwy 7 Bridge. Correct?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »

Can I assume that that the Rosedale bridge is the same as the Hwy 7 Bridge. Correct?

No, he is referring to running up the Fraser from the Harrison to the Rosedale Bridge (highway 9, I think).
Not all those who wander are lost