Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First light or dawn patrol, Who catches fish this damn early?  (Read 4458 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
First light or dawn patrol, Who catches fish this damn early?
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »

OK, one reason I like my fly fishing for trout is.....You do better after breakfast, These 6 am mornings IMHO suck large....I can honestly say that in the times I'm out at first light I've never hooked a fish...Salmon season too, I've hooked a half hour to an hour after but never first light...

So, who's to blame for this madness??? Are you just posting your spot or can you honestly confirm that you have caught more this early versus a good time...like AFTER breakfast ;D  My feeling is...if it's dark, you should still be sleeping!!!...

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: First light or dawn patrol, Who catches fish this damn early?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »

I usually don't hit fish till about 1/2 hour after first light! So i guess u gotta point!
Fish killer 101

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »

I've caught fish at first light. One of the reason I go early is because I can't sleep the night before.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:02:59 PM »

I have hit plenty of Coho, Spring, and Steelies first light!!  But I have also had some of my best mornings when I get there a bit late!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »

Winter Steelies don't seem to be as much a first light fish as their summer run cousins in my opinion. I wouldn't have enough fingers to count the number of summer runs I've hooked on the first or second cast when fishing my favourite morning hole at the T that won't even fish 2 hour after light because it's on the shallow side and the fish move too far out.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »

The other good thing about fishing at first light is that you get more of a chance at getting first water on a couple of runs instead of one or none.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »

Winter Steelies don't seem to be as much a first light fish as their summer run cousins in my opinion. I wouldn't have enough fingers to count the number of summer runs I've hooked on the first or second cast when fishing my favourite morning hole at the T that won't even fish 2 hour after light because it's on the shallow side and the fish move too far out.

Some summer fishing I understand..especially when it's warm, the am's and pm's are the best cause of water temp. I'm just wondering if ESPECIALLY with winter steel. If the later times and as such a little warmer water wouldn't be more productive??? I just don't know if first light the fish are still in close or if they move in close at that time??? I've read both...

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:49:09 PM »

I have hit plenty of Coho, Spring, and Steelies first light!!  But I have also had some of my best mornings when I get there a bit late!! ;D

Damn it, that doesn't help ;D

Blue Heron

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:59:28 PM »

Two fish this month both at about 2:00 - 3:00 PM. But theres got to more satisfaction to that first light fish.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »

I have hit many fish including Steelhead right at first light, I usually like to leave for home around 12-1 so I start as early as possible in order to get the max amount of time on the river  ;D I thought old men like you can't sleep anyways.. you should have no prob being up  ;)
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 05:28:37 PM »

When fishing for salmon in the rivers time doesnt seem to matter. I have hit them at all times during the day. With steelhead I have always done better when its overcast regardless of the time.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »

And when he is late he always blames the girlfriend for not setting the alarm.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »

I know when i'm late i try to hard to hook a fish and i miss fish, until i calm down and have fun like i'm supposed to! DAve i think u should go out and not try for a fish, but just fish! Be casual and have a good time enjoy whats around u!
Fish killer 101

Clipper

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 07:52:44 PM »

well i grew up on the ditch !  and you had to get there early cause you can fish the whole river by 12 noon . and as the saying go's early bird gets the worm !! i have caught more in the first 15 min at light but lots in mid day as well. :o
tight lines

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 08:03:44 PM »

I have hit many fish including Steelhead right at first light, I usually like to leave for home around 12-1 so I start as early as possible in order to get the max amount of time on the river  ;D I thought old men like you can't sleep anyways.. you should have no prob being up  ;)
TR

Since the Doc gave me these blue pills only part of me has that problem... :D  And your still ugly!!! :-X