Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 66130 times)

SuperBobby

Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2023, 11:25:48 AM »

Like I said....I've been fishing the LM salmon (non tidal) for almost 40 years now. The definition of what a 'Chrome' fish is very highly subjective to the point where I wonder if some people have ever caught what is a truly 'chrome' fish.
Pink salmon are not like Coho, Springs (especially reds), or Sockeye where the latter 3 hold their eating quality for a much longer time than Pinks do.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2023, 11:31:54 AM »

Remember that were against the steelhead closure now and will be closed around September 19 for lower Fraser. so to maximise opportunity early open would be welcomed. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 12:26:52 PM by wildmanyeah »

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2023, 05:34:12 PM »

Oh I'm aware of the quality, I may not have a whole lot of posts on here but I've been fishing avidly for 20 years. Caught countless pinks coho ect. many many pinks in lower fraser still come with there sea scales and great quality. There are humpers too but very easy to get quality pinks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2023, 06:37:12 PM »

Oh I'm aware of the quality, I may not have a whole lot of posts on here but I've been fishing avidly for 20 years. Caught countless pinks coho ect. many many pinks in lower fraser still come with there sea scales and great quality. There are humpers too but very easy to get quality pinks.

absolutely. I've caught them all through Sept even October some years. Biggest I ever weighed was 7lb male caught in October - so silver and fought so well I thought it might be a coho.

Big chrome males can have humps as well. The hump is supposedly a dominance feature and females probably select mates based on size.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »

Oh for sure, I've been catching silver humpers off of amble side and bowen for the last 2 weekends.

danielk

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2023, 09:42:55 PM »

I watched the test nets today. In new west. Through the public binos.  They had a good hall lots of nice fish tonight. Some big springs!   It looked like.     Then I sat and had a wobbly pop and watched the river. Lots of fish jumping around.  Seen a sturgeon come fully out of the water also ,  that’s always fun 🤩 I guess I should start polishing up the pink lures.  And Colorado’s

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2023, 10:30:51 PM »

some cycles ago I fished the Fraser just off the Mastqui Trail near Ridgedale. There were a half dozen people fishing but not much going on. Then there were some rises and in an hour 1 guy hooked 4 and landed 3 using a big all pink spinner. The rest of us were skunked. Obviously he flossed them!  ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2023, 11:02:05 PM »

I watched the test nets today. In new west. Through the public binos.  They had a good hall lots of nice fish tonight. Some big springs!   It looked like.     Then I sat and had a wobbly pop and watched the river. Lots of fish jumping around.  Seen a sturgeon come fully out of the water also ,  that’s always fun 🤩 I guess I should start polishing up the pink lures.  And Colorado’s
tasmanian devils only!! Will be posting my report after my camping trip
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

redside1

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2023, 08:28:15 AM »

"Tassie Devils only", love it. The lure has been around for almost ever and out of the blue it's the "go to" lure this year. I see what a little promotion by a few does to a market place.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2023, 08:40:38 AM »

Brownsville test got a decent number pinks yesterday enough in the lower river now that an angler could expect some success

Clipped.Adipose

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2023, 11:17:14 AM »

So many pinks surfacing in chilliwack this morning, really hope we get an opening

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2023, 01:36:37 PM »

the most numerous salmon in the river currently is sockeye, not pinks. While Brownsville had a ok number (71 or something) Whonnock and Cottonwood did not. Not even 1% of the pink run estimate has passed the Mission hydro-acoustic barrier.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2023, 04:02:57 PM »

What does sockeye have to do with it???

redside1

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2023, 04:27:30 PM »

SFAB is working hard on trying to get the lower river open for pink fishing asap. it's all political on why it's not open now.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2023, 05:04:58 PM »

I've pursued this fishery since about '93. My consistent experience is the fishing is not all that great until into September. I also have seen lots of people pulled out onto the river in August by the excessive hype and 'gold rush' attitude and just basically waste their time & a lot of gasoline. It's more true below Mission where the river is broader and subject to tides. The current is most often mild or moderate and fish spread out over much of it. SFAB can't make the fish move into the river any faster by getting an opening now or a week from now. Just my 2 cents.