Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 66111 times)

chardeemacdenis

Fraser Pinks 2023
« on: August 18, 2023, 06:30:36 PM »

Looks like a banner year on deck even after the huge blowout in 2021. Looking forward to an excellent fishery for these curious and aggressive biters!
Fishing isn't catching

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 06:48:47 PM »

a big reminder how much ocean conditions determine the health of our salmon fisheries.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 06:52:24 PM »

17 million is the current estimate.

In 2021, pinks opened in the tidal area from Sept 3 to Sept 18 - 4 per day.

PSC reports are hard to link but here's the text of the Aug 18 report (Fraser River Panel Weekly Report):
The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 18, to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed. It is currently estimated that 689,300 sockeye and 31,500 pink salmon have passed the Mission hydroacoustics site. The Panel adopted a run size of 310,000 Early Summer-run sockeye with an associated Area 20 timing of July 24, 800,000 Summer-run sockeye with an associated Area 20 timing of August 13 and 17,000,000 pink salmon with an associated Area 20 timing of August 13.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 06:38:59 PM by Easywater »

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 05:07:38 PM »

17M? thought it was 11.6M

SuperBobby

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »

It could be 107 million and I guarantee just like 2 years ago, they won't let the sporties in until the chrome fish are done.....if we even get in at all.
Same political discriminating BS year after year.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 06:43:43 PM »

Could see some early fish in the river next weekend.

danielk

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 10:30:29 PM »

I live in new west and walk the quay   Almost everyday the last 3 days I’ve seen 1-3 rolling around.     Durning my walk.   Fingers crossed we get a chance for some fresh ones    !!!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 08:50:40 AM »

As far as the nattering nabob of negativity's comments go...I don't think we have had a pink cycle when there wasn't an opening for pinks somewhere in the LM/FV since the early 90s. It's possible the estimate will rise. Pretty hard to deny one at 17 million as one was expected at the pre-season forecast.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 04:39:36 PM »

As far as the nattering nabob of negativity's comments go...I don't think we have had a pink cycle when there wasn't an opening for pinks somewhere in the LM/FV since the early 90s.

I'm not sure if the escapement goal has always been in the 6-8M range, but if one looks at the returns over that time period from the PSC reports, it has failed to reach that only 2 or 3 times. 

I agree that the sporties have generally had it pretty good. At minimum some C&R opportunities somewhere every cycle.

SuperBobby

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 05:10:09 PM »

As far as the nattering nabob of negativity's comments go...I don't think we have had a pink cycle when there wasn't an opening for pinks somewhere in the LM/FV since the early 90s. It's possible the estimate will rise. Pretty hard to deny one at 17 million as one was expected at the pre-season forecast.

Out of all the species of salmon....no other is on a clock like the Pinks. Once a certain date passes....getting a chrome fish is like pulling a needle out of a haystack. 2 years ago, they let us in on Sept 11th. That is past the date of chrome fish. Yeah sure.....there are always a few beaks out there that claim they got a chrome fish regardless of the 4 inch hump on the top of it.
There was no reason that the sporties couldn't have been out earlier. However for the DFO to let us out for an 11 day season to hook into a few spawners is their way of saying "here you go....don't say we never let you fish". That is all it was.....nothing more. So you're right.....they probably won't deny us some fishing....but let's see if we actually get to fish when the majority of the fish are still chrome. I say it won't happen. I want to be wrong.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 05:51:57 PM »

Sept 7, 2021
One of two pinks I managed to catch on the tidal fraser over the season.
Pretty dam chrome if you ask me
And they opened it on the 3rd?

if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

SuperBobby

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2023, 08:37:59 PM »

Sept 7, 2021
One of two pinks I managed to catch on the tidal fraser over the season.
Pretty dam chrome if you ask me
And they opened it on the 3rd?

Non tidal which is where I fish was the 11th

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 07:50:49 AM »

So was the Tidal Fraser Only opening in 2021 to discourage certain techniques in the Non Tidal? 
The test catches remain strong.  I keep expecting it to wind down, but then it goes up again.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2023, 08:36:16 AM »

No chrome fish are available. Look at these boots.

When there is an opening go out and fish.
Fishing isn't catching

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 10:08:10 AM »

If the numbers actually come to fruition it will be a great year. I usually get alot of chrome fish in the first 2-3 weeks of September. The fish at that time kn the lower faser are still great eating. It would be nice to see them open it in the last week of August though, just so I don't have to drive as far to enjoy some salmon fishing.