Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 145268 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »

After that well written post, Nog for MLA ! (for the next NDP government). You sure are more informed then most elected politicians. How about in charge of MOE if you ever get there, so we will have more steelhead stocking?  ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »

The tax guys definately need to revise their "taxable" list

AIN'T going to happen Morty. Once they see the possibility of additional income, it is VERY much like a shark smelling blood.

They have LIED to us over and over and over repeatedly. Now I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I DO recognize when I'm getting screwed over. IMHO if in light of all that has happened you still support the LIEberals and their damned tax grab, you have either been brainwashed, or for some reason like "bending over".

We have to send a message to this Fool On The Hill that his BS will no longer be meekly accepted. Simple matter, sign the petition...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »

A Buddy's Take:

"Most economists see some benefit in the HST. They like the fact that it will streamline tax administration. But few if any believe it will generate any economic growth. And there is no doubt it will cost all of us a lot more money by increasing the tax on major items, like real property and food. And I seriously doubt that you or I will feel any benefit from streamlining tax administration.

But the economists may not be the best authority on this. The biggest issue is that this tax was introduced to the BC public days after an election. But it was never mentioned or debated during that election. It is being foisted on the BC tax payer without any democratic mandate whatsoever. Thus, fighting this damned tax is about more than fighting against the tax, it is about fighting for democracy in BC.

Regardless of whether you support the BC Libs, the NDP, another party, or no party at all, the HST is symptomatic of cynical politics at its worst. If you don't like the direction politics is headed in BC, and who does, then this is the best chance you will ever have to stand up for yourself and fight back. And for once, the odds of winning are high. All you have to do is sign your name."

aYup!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »

Bill Vanderzalm and the anti HSTcampaign is coming to Chilliwack on Wednesday where I will be signing up to gather signatures.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

If I was convinced that the HST was so awful I'd volunteer to help Bill Vanderzalm carry his "Stop the HST " banners as well.

However, I can't see a lot of problems with the HST other than the fact that a few items we buy will now carry some additional tax. I like user pay taxes like the PST, GST and HST because they are right there in your face and if I choose to buy the item that is being taxed I will calculate it in as part of the price.... or choose not to buy the item!

These are taxes that the rich will pay more of than the poor....  because they have more money to buy the stuff that is taxed! The lowest income group will be receiving additional HST credits.That is a fair tax.

The fact that the HST was a surprise announcement well folks that's life. The suggestion that the Liberals lied to us....  have you seen a politician that hasn't lied? That's not a good thing but it's reality. We can judge them with our vote in the next election. If a government needs tax dollars it is going to introduce what ever tax it needs to so it can try and balance it's budget. What I want to see is a government that puts tax policies in place that encourage economic growth, create jobs, simplify tax policies and tax those who can most afford it. The HST does all of these things.

The HST is a replacement tax for the existing PST and GST taxes. While it will likely cost all of us more, it will help small businesses because it simplifies their tracking (they only need to collect one tax). It also benefits these businesses because they can claim back the taxes that they paid to buy the products so they can then resell them. In a competitive market many products will cost less than they do now. The simpler a tax is the more transparent it is.

I'm afraid I'll need more convincing proof (besides the fact that the liberals "lied" to us) to convince me to sign Bill Vanderzalm's/the NDP's petition. ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 07:05:41 AM »

If I was convinced that the HST was so awful I'd volunteer to help Bill Vanderzalm carry his "Stop the HST " banners as well.

However, I can't see a lot of problems with the HST other than the fact that a few items we buy will now carry some additional tax. I like user pay taxes like the PST, GST and HST because they are right there in your face and if I choose to buy the item that is being taxed I will calculate it in as part of the price.... or choose not to buy the item!

These are taxes that the rich will pay more of than the poor....  because they have more money to buy the stuff that is taxed! The lowest income group will be receiving additional HST credits.That is a fair tax.

The fact that the HST was a surprise announcement well folks that's life. The suggestion that the Liberals lied to us....  have you seen a politician that hasn't lied? That's not a good thing but it's reality. We can judge them with our vote in the next election. If a government needs tax dollars it is going to introduce what ever tax it needs to so it can try and balance it's budget. What I want to see is a government that puts tax policies in place that encourage economic growth, create jobs, simplify tax policies and tax those who can most afford it. The HST does all of these things.

The HST is a replacement tax for the existing PST and GST taxes. While it will likely cost all of us more, it will help small businesses because it simplifies their tracking (they only need to collect one tax). It also benefits these businesses because they can claim back the taxes that they paid to buy the products so they can then resell them. In a competitive market many products will cost less than they do now. The simpler a tax is the more transparent it is.

I'm afraid I'll need more convincing proof (besides the fact that the liberals "lied" to us) to convince me to sign Bill Vanderzalm's/the NDP's petition. ;D

What really stinks, besides the outright lies and deceit, is the elected are NOT representing the people that put them there. Democracy represents the electorate and with 85% AGAINST the HST, this is a slap in the face to those of us who want a government that represents the wishes of the people. As far as "helping" small business - BALOGNA - I own a small business and there is no help to it to me. I have no chance of raising my prices to keep pace with increased costs. And if you and others are OK with liars and have no desire to hold their feet to the fire , than democracy is dead , having given way to dictators. Personally, I'm hoping this is enough to wake people up to the giveaways like BC Rail ,no cost to CN as they used tax credits to cover the purchase, the IPP's that will make your hydro rates soar (look at the ex Liberal butt sniffers that relocated there, sorta like flies to poop) , banks getting hundreds of millions in tax breaks, gas and oil getting 120 million in tax breaks,(these 2 are really galling as they have billions in profit) and on and on.
WAKE UP! The tax revenue lost is being foisted on the working stiff and small business so Campbell can give great chunks of the province to his supporters. And just look how well those that donate to the pack of thieves do.
"The suggestion that the Liberals lied to us" - That's not a suggestion- it's a FACT.
And:
"The suggestion that the Liberals lied to us....  have you seen a politician that hasn't lied? That's not a good thing but it's reality."
Then it's time to stand up and demand accountability, not stand around like a bunch of sheeple and accept  it. I won't accept it from my kids, but we should accept and expect it from political hacks? Balogna again.
Time for a tea party...
 Democracy for sale!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:36:11 AM by Novabonker »
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:04 AM »

I own a small business and there is no help to it to me. I have no chance of raising my prices to keep pace with increased costs. And if you and others are OK with liars and have no desire to hold their feet to the fire , than democracy is dead , having given way to dictators.   Personally, I'm hoping this is enough to wake people up to the giveaways

And this is the problem! You and probably most of the anti HST'ers are upset with Campbell for one reason or another and you are using the new HST to vent. No problem with being upset with Campbell but why use the HST campaign?

The whole anti HST campaign loses credibility when it's real motive is to complain about Campbell. There are many more positives than negatives about the HST. 7 out of 10 provinces are incorporating it! Only Manitoba, Saskatchewan and PEI are currently holding out. Manitoba is probably the next province to incorporate HST and they have an NDP government.

The help for small business has been simplification of their tax collecting duties. Now they only need to collect one tax not 2 taxes. I've owned  a business in Ontario and that is huge!!!  The HST will benefit the consumer over the long run because many products we buy and pay PST and GST on have PST incorporated in the price. This is because our current system doesn't allow the business to claim back the PST it pays before it sells a product to you or I. In a competitive market that will knock between 3-5% off many products. Although all  taxes suck, simpler is better when it comes to taxes.

Save your Campbell frustrations for the next election and express them there....   where they can actually make a difference!  ???

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:50:09 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 08:12:08 AM »

Again - When we accept outright bologna and manipulation by PROVEN LIARS and just lie down like sheep, there is no hope that these LIARS will ever change their ways. Whatever the citizens can do to wake these arrogant idiots out of the stupor is effort well spent.This entire group of trolls and zombies is NOT accountable to the electorate, but to the party donors. I'm pretty sure Campbell will be set adrift before the next election in any case as the political baggage is getting very heavy and his "porters" are at the point of having had enough.
Why do you think these actions are acceptable?
There is a recall initiative on the books. Maybe it won't gain traction, maybe it will, but I don't believe in going to a lake and not trying to catch a fish.
I'm reminded of the plan to privatize the Coq. Enough uproar and it went away. Time to make noise, not go have a multi year nap.

BTW- How many types of business had to collect just GST? I run a service business that has its customers get whacked with an increase. There is no benefit to many small service business owners, but just another anchor.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:15:34 AM by Novabonker »
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 09:14:49 AM »

This entire group of trolls and zombies is NOT accountable to the electorate, but to the party donors.

Thank goodness the NDP does not stoop to these standards.  Fast ferries was for the good of the electorate and no benefit whatsoever to the NDP's union donors. We obviously have something to look forward to.........    or very short memories!  ;D

yamadirt 426

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »

And this is the problem! You and probably most of the anti HST'ers are upset with Campbell for one reason or another and you are using the new HST to vent. No problem with being upset with Campbell but why use the HST campaign?

The whole anti HST campaign loses credibility when it's real motive is to complain about Campbell. There are many more positives than negatives about the HST. 7 out of 10 provinces are incorporating it! Only Manitoba, Saskatchewan and PEI are currently holding out. Manitoba is probably the next province to incorporate HST and they have an NDP government.

The help for small business has been simplification of their tax collecting duties. Now they only need to collect one tax not 2 taxes. I've owned  a business in Ontario and that is huge!!!  The HST will benefit the consumer over the long run because many products we buy and pay PST and GST on have PST incorporated in the price. This is because our current system doesn't allow the business to claim back the PST it pays before it sells a product to you or I. In a competitive market that will knock between 3-5% off many products. Although all  taxes suck, simpler is better when it comes to taxes.

Save your Campbell frustrations for the next election and express them there....   where they can actually make a difference!  ???

I own a small business and only have to collect the gst like alot of others. How the hell is this going to help me other than cost me and my customers more? Your only thinking of one part of the equation just like a lib. And your fast ferry comment. Live in the past much? Nothing compared to whats happening today.

glog

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »

as a small business owner and a farmer. I actually like the idea of the HST. On one hand I have to pay more for certain things that were not taxed before, but that is more than being offset by the ability to claim back not only the GST, but the PST as well.

I figured it out and I actualy come out ahead in the deal, signifcantly better that before.

So with more money in my pocket i will be able to hire an extra helper to reduce my work load(more fishing)  and increase productivity. I'm jsut a small operation, if the same effect applies to other businesses it may actaully work out quite well.

I cant stand any of the current politicians but the NDP are by far the worst thing that ever happens to BC past and present.  Its very intersting that during the olympics there was no sign of Carole James or NDP, not even giving the courtesy of congratualting all the athletes and the hard working volunteers that made the games such a success. I for one am absolutely disguted by their dis-respectful attitude.

So i wont be signing any petition.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 02:01:54 PM »

I figured it out and I actualy come out ahead in the deal, signifcantly better that before. So with more money in my pocket i will be able to hire an extra helper to reduce my work load(more fishing)  and increase productivity.

I rest my case!  

Anything that allows you to do more fishing has to be an excellent thing!!!    ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:48:03 PM by alwaysfishn »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »

as a small business owner and a farmer. I actually like the idea of the HST. On one hand I have to pay more for certain things that were not taxed before, but that is more than being offset by the ability to claim back not only the GST, but the PST as well.

I figured it out and I actualy come out ahead in the deal, signifcantly better that before.

So with more money in my pocket i will be able to hire an extra helper to reduce my work load(more fishing)  and increase productivity. I'm jsut a small operation, if the same effect applies to other businesses it may actaully work out quite well.

I cant stand any of the current politicians but the NDP are by far the worst thing that ever happens to BC past and present.  Its very intersting that during the olympics there was no sign of Carole James or NDP, not even giving the courtesy of congratualting all the athletes and the hard working volunteers that made the games such a success. I for one am absolutely disguted by their dis-respectful attitude.

So i wont be signing any petition.
Glad it is going to be a benefit for you and your business and you will now be able to get more fishing time in. However someone has to make up for the short fall in revenues and in many cases it is the ordinary taxpayer that has to do it. Also we have no means to claim it back. I certainly do not mind paying my share but we have this pending HST because of mis management of our present Liberal government that has seen our deficit balloon  the last few years. Of course they always blame it on the down turn in the world's economics and never take any of the blame themselves.

Of course the good part is because they have misled the public so badly on this and many other issues they will be turfed in the next election. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »

Just saw on the news that a house buyer will be paying an extra 7 % on a house on July 1. $400,000 dwelling will mean an extra $2,800 in tax than it is now. ::)

No wonder the government likes this.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »

Of course they always blame it on the down turn in the world's economics and never take any of the blame themselves.

Has any government ever accepted blame for financial mismanagement whether they be the Liberals, NDP, Socreds etc ? They all play the blame game.