Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions  (Read 131920 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions
« Reply #345 on: March 07, 2018, 04:25:54 PM »

It's karma Chris, you won't catch a fish until you pay off your bet with buck as to who would catch the first hatchery steelhead ::)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #346 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »

I'm 56 and have been Steelheading since 1983. So that's 35 yrs now. I'm finding my balance is not the same anymore. Have taken some nasty spills this year. One when I was climbing over a log jam and fell off a slippery log onto my back. Ouch! Don't have the stamina to fish all day anymore either. The young guns gonna have to carry on the tradition and keep the sport alive.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:18 PM »

Couldn't do it now and that's OK with me.
I can see that you still love that flow and her fish from your posts.
It ain't the roe bro'

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #348 on: March 08, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »

Chasing steelhead at 70 in the winter you guys are crazy!! Mucho respect tho

I am only 30 and I have already came to the realization that I will be chasing trout out of a tin boat when im 70. I am going to be a grumpy old man fingering younger people as they speed by

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #349 on: March 08, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »

Yesterday was a beautiful day on the river but I bet today is going to be more productive... ;)

Jk47

« Reply #350 on: March 08, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Tomorrow  ;D

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #351 on: March 09, 2018, 05:28:53 AM »

I find that one must keep doing the hikes regularly or risk losing the ability to do it. I kept on hiking as much as possible during my battle with cancer. It became very difficult at one point but I still went out and tried. Some days I get very fatigued and feel like going home to my couch but will dig deep for a bit more energy.

I was most impressed by an angler named Ed, some of you may know him. He had his hip replaced a few years ago and I saw him 12 days later with his cane hiking into the Yarrow side of Peach rd. He was damn sure not gonna let that new hip stop him from Steelhead Fishing. He was not giving in to age or even a new body part. Its guys like Ed or Toothpick Tom that impress me most. They do what it takes to keep fishing.

I am still very pissed off they killed the access at Hope Dale rd, it was one of the few places a older, physically challenged or disabled person could get to the water easily. I would have personally cleaned up any garbage there to keep it open. In fact that access should be reopened to the public.

I dont care how many times old Joe low holes me, I still love watching him catch fish on his tiny tuft of wool, with his damn dog barking at his fish.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Jk47

« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »

River is mud. Blown to smitherines after all the rain. Stay home

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »

I find that one must keep doing the hikes regularly or risk losing the ability to do it. I kept on hiking as much as possible during my battle with cancer. It became very difficult at one point but I still went out and tried. Some days I get very fatigued and feel like going home to my couch but will dig deep for a bit more energy.

I was most impressed by an angler named Ed, some of you may know him. He had his hip replaced a few years ago and I saw him 12 days later with his cane hiking into the Yarrow side of Peach rd. He was damn sure not gonna let that new hip stop him from Steelhead Fishing. He was not giving in to age or even a new body part. Its guys like Ed or Toothpick Tom that impress me most. They do what it takes to keep fishing.

I am still very pissed off they killed the access at Hope Dale rd, it was one of the few places a older, physically challenged or disabled person could get to the water easily. I would have personally cleaned up any garbage there to keep it open. In fact that access should be reopened to the public.

I dont care how many times old Joe low holes me, I still love watching him catch fish on his tiny tuft of wool, with his damn dog barking at his fish.
We, the FRaser Valley Salmon Society tried through a couple of meetingsa couple of yesars ago with the City of Chilliwack to keep the Hopedale area road down to the Hydro Bridge open to no avail. We told them it was a great area to fish and closing the gate really effected older anglers.The Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society had been dealing with the garbage issue as did others when it was needed.We always tell the City and others putting gates up does not stop the garbage dumping as those that do it just go somewhere else to do their dirty deeds.

Thanks for your post Rod.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »

Great post Rod. Did not know you are a cancer survivor. Congrats on that. Toothpick Tom is an inspiration to us all. And Chris ,thank you for all that you do.

ByteMe

« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »

Thanks Rod for a very inspirational post for all us aging seniors
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »

Great post Rod. Did not know you are a cancer survivor. Congrats on that. Toothpick Tom is an inspiration to us all. And Chris ,thank you for all that you do.
X2
It ain't the roe bro'

John Revolver

« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »

One of my favourite things ever is when I run into you on the river and say hi! ---- I feel confident knowing I am fishing the right section of the river!  ahaha :)

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »

Too many people today. Water is low and clear. Caught one weird hatchery fish. 17" no sperm sack, no eggs, two plastic beads in guts.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »

Residualized hatchery steelhead, a nice one too  :)