Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minister Penner, what has he done for fish and fishing so far?  (Read 10106 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Minister Penner, what has he done for fish and fishing so far?
« on: November 19, 2006, 08:20:54 PM »

Since the Liberals said at the last election that they would ensure that we would have a world class fishery.
Please tell us what they ( The Minister) has done to ensure this would happen.

I am finding it hard to think of any positive things, in fact I can think of none.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Minister Penner, what has he done for fish and fishing so far?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »

I like the 21 million dollars they provided for the Living Rivers Trust Fund. Chilliwack River Action Committee has make application for funding and we are in the final stages of receiving $40,000 to continue work on the clay slides on the Chilliwack River.

On visting the Cowichan River this past summer the government has been supportive and contributed funds to the work on the Stoltz Slide that we toured. I am sure there is many projects the Provincial Government that they have been working on.

A good time and place for forum members to post what they feel the government should be doing and have not. I will be pleased to try and pass them on when we meet with Mr Penner in the near future. ;D ;D

I know the treaty's that are going on are a concern to many.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:07:29 PM »

Thompson River Steelhead, when are they planning to do something?They have had reports on reports?

Cutthroat trout?

Steelhead on the Coquitlam?

Has the Minister stopped enhancement of the Cheahis for Steelhead?

Chris, name one river that you fished on the lower mainland that the runs of Steelhead are as they were 20 years ago.
Do not count the Vedder.
Now do the same for Cutts and tell me how many rivers even have any left?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »

Thompson River Steelhead, when are they planning to do something?They have had reports on reports?

Cutthroat trout?

Chris, name one river that you fished on the lower mainland that the runs of Steelhead are as they were 20 years ago.
Do not count the Vedder.

They release hatchery cutthroat in the Alouette River seen them do it when I was tossing flies. If they do it for the Alouette they must do it for other rivers as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 09:59:36 PM »

Cutthroat trout?

Do not count the Vedder.

Thanks for the questions.

Of course do not know all the answers to them but will discuss with Barry in our next meeting.

I find the cutthroat healthy in in the Upper Valley as during a few days of brood stock fishing have seen a good number including lots of feeders. Close to 60 fish are taken each year for brood.

Brood stock takes place on the Chehalis for steelhead.

Please go into more details on the other questions you have asked so I am more up todate on what you see as the problems and how you think they should be addressed then I will see what I can do.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 09:41:43 AM »

It is nice to see that everyone else is happy with MOE and the present situation of Steelhead, Cutthroat and bull trout?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:02:39 AM »

I know that on the allouette if it was not for bc hydro that system would not be the way it is and if the prison did not do all the work at the hatchery that hatchery would be closed. How many hatcheries have closed since the liberals came into power? I know that the hatchery on the coquitlam closed due to funding cuts. I find that the liberals just keep cutting and cutting and when it is almost to late they throw a little money to try and restore the systems. The money that they throw at the systems I am sure does not come close to what they have saved from the funding cuts and the money that they get from us as fishermen/women. One question you should ask is where is the money that they get from our fees because all that money that they get from us sure is not going back into the fisheries. I think that the minister gets a failing grade for this. Also find out exactly how much money is brought in from our fees and how much of that money goes back into the fisheries. I would bet that it is less than a third.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »

I know that on the allouette if it was not for bc hydro that system would not be the way it is and if the prison did not do all the work at the hatchery that hatchery would be closed. How many hatcheries have closed since the liberals came into power? I know that the hatchery on the coquitlam closed due to funding cuts. I find that the liberals just keep cutting and cutting and when it is almost to late they throw a little money to try and restore the systems. The money that they throw at the systems I am sure does not come close to what they have saved from the funding cuts and the money that they get from us as fishermen/women. One question you should ask is where is the money that they get from our fees because all that money that they get from us sure is not going back into the fisheries. I think that the minister gets a failing grade for this. Also find out exactly how much money is brought in from our fees and how much of that money goes back into the fisheries. I would bet that it is less than a third.

I too would like to know these stats.  As I posted sometime ago only 1 dollar from the salmon conservation surcharge stamp goes to help salmon and the rest is for general revenue which IMO is a blatant rip off.  It would be interesting to find out what income angling generates in licences sales alone and compare that to funding.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 12:46:17 PM »

I am not at all happy with the changes that were made a few years back with regards to management and operation of the chilliwack and chehalis hatcheries. Since then i have seen vast reductions in coho numbers on both systems as well as increase in white spring on the vedder. Also this not having enough funds to do 100% clipping on 100% of the fish released by the hatcheries is retarted at best. I could go on and on and on...... I have found cuttie populations in the areas i fish to be holding thier own but i only target a select few systems.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 01:20:03 PM »

Lets try this and if you think fish are not on the agenda think again.

Friends and colloquies - The president of the B.C. Wildlife Federation has advised me that he and the Federation directors are in very difficult negotiations with the representatives of the B.C. Government over the allocation of wildlife between resident hunters and the guiding industry. Wilf made strong reference to this in his message in the last issue of the Outdoor Edge.

The simple facts as I understand them and as I have experienced is that this current government is bound and determined to privatize our fish and wildlife along with everything else. Their current plans for allocation will see
more and more of our hunting opportunities turned over to the control of the guides.

President Wilf and I are asking that you please take a minute today to send a short message to Environment Minister Barry Penner with copies to your own MLA and the people listed below. Minister Penner's e mail address is Barry.Penner.MLA@leg.bc.ca.

Copies to:
nancy.wilkin@gov.bc.ca
al.martin@gov.bc.ca
tom.ethier@gov.bc.ca
James LeaderNDP, Carol
E-mail Address(es):
  carol.james.mla@leg.bc.ca

Your e mail should be short and to the point, no need to rant, just tell these people and most importantly your own MLA that their current plan is not acceptable.

I enclose a copy of my e-mail sent today.

Do it today!

Bill Otway
----- Original Message -----
To: Penner Hon Barry Min Environ
Cc: Martin, Al D WLAP:EX ; Tom Ethier ; Nancy Wilkins ADM ; Harry Lali ; Carol James LeaderNDP
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 12:19 PM
Subject: Wildlife Allocation

Mr. Minister: I have become aware of the current plans of your government to increase that allocation of hunting opportunities for non-residents by allocating more animals to the Guiding industry.

Please be advised that this action is totally contrary to the previous government policy of B.C. fish and wildlife resources being allocated to B.C. residents first.

Be also further advised that I and the hundreds of thousands of other B.C. resident hunters and anglers do not support the current allocation proposals of your government.

Bill Otway

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 01:45:14 PM »

it will be a cold day in hell when i am prevented from my yearly harvest of game meat via some guide allocated harvest agreement or what ever. I guess the B.C. gov has it in it's mind to create a whole lotta poachers. Will somebody please burn these idiot liberals right outta this freakin country. I'll be happy if the Liberal party itself is just simply abolished and dismantled.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 02:14:36 PM »

What has the NDP done to improve fishing ?

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 03:04:50 PM »

What has the NDP done to improve fishing ?

What has this got to do with what has the Liberals done?
The Liberals are in charge and they made the promise. Lets deal with what they have done.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »

I posted about bottom trawling the other week:

"The trawling is said to be devastating slow-growing fish like orange roughy. The ships drag large nets along the bottom, a practice likened to clearcutting and strip-mining, that destroys not just fish stocks but habitat on the sea bottom.

The UN General Assembly resumes negotiations today on banning the practice. U.S. President George W. Bush announced a month ago the U.S. will join the U.K., Australia and New Zealand in supporting a temporary moratorium on deep-sea trawling in international waters. Canadian officials oppose the ban, fearing it might lead to restrictions on trawling in Canadian waters."

As the last sentence says Canadian, and for that matter BC government supports this wasteful and non-sustainable approach. I just don't care about my local fishing hole. I see the whole shebang going down the tube because are governments aren't doing what they were elected for and swore to do. To uphold the laws and look after our best interests. Not there buddies financial interests. Unfortunately the current BC government has only cut back on stewarding our fishing resources.

I don't think having some concerned citizens begging for a minuscule amount of money from the "Living Rivers Trust Fund" so they can do there best, is any answer. It just leaves lots of other rivers in the "chump change trust fund". We pay more for conservation stamps and this is their answer. Pooh on there foot wafts my way again. :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »

I am still firmly of the beleif that the gov's agenda is to see fraser salmon stocks crash completely. This would solve the continual push for fish allocation between the 3 main user groups, would solve the native side of the fish argument, would enable the fraser to be dammed for hydro production and this alone would generate more provincial and federal incomes than the entire sports/commercial/native fishery combined..... that's prolly even after they pay off the natives with subsidies from the electricity genereated from thier river. I know that i am just spewing what ifs but really, we all know they've thought about it. I have no answers when it comes to what the hell the gov thinks they are doing with fisheries management as a whole BUT, in my opinion it starts here.... Ban open pen fish farms and aquaculture projects from waterways and migration routes for herring and salmon... ie.. the entire west coast, ban bottom trawling in any canadian waters... CUT JIMMY PATTERSON's fishing fleet by about 3/4, continue improving river habitat for spawning and rearing of salmon trout and steelhead, CULL all bass populations in zones that interact with native trout/salmon and sturgeon, stopping chum roe fisheries during migration timing of fraser/thompson and interior coho and steelhead stocks.  I could go on and on and on and on...... Until they do these things.... everything else is like pissin up a rope... or into the wind.... you pick the analogie that fits.
I do like Mr. Penner's stance on many things but we need to see action and whole hell of a lot of it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:31:11 PM by allwaysfishin »