Fishing in British Columbia > Rod Building

Rod Building??

(1/2) > >>

bravo252:
I am thinking about it for this coming winter!! ;D

13 feet Lamiglass blank,slip ring reel guide cork handle, and 11 or 12 small hole guide for C-pin reel.

So~ How much do you guy think that I need to spend except for the blank??

Please share the ideas!!

Bravo~

MERC:
It depends on what you want for components.  Reel seat can be $50-$60, butt box, wrap, glue, etc etc.  I've got a build going on now and the guides are titanium with nanolite inserts.  They start at $5.50 each and go up in price depending on size.  And, the usual rules apply.  The more bling, the more $$$. 

Gooey:
Why do you want a slider?  I was recommended against them by 2 local rod builders!  Shaping your cork is very finicky with a sliding reel seat and has to be done in 2 stages unless you want a tapered front grip (i personally dont like those).  High end reel seats may be $50+ but nice woven graphite seats are available for a fraction of that.  Cork (last I checked) was about 1.25 per half inch!!!  so cork and guides can really set you back.  I put harloy guides on my last 3 rods and I am happy with them.  If you pound the fraser every chance you get and you run braid then higher end guides may be a plus otherwise they are just extra cash.  As well, if you will only ever fish the rod as a CP then you can cut down the amount of guides on the rod...just space them out so you get a nice even bend when you load the rod up.  This will cut cost and weight.

I like my rods to look nice and be functional...I wont how ever spend $100 on a guide set!

I have some good contacts for cork and guides if retail costs are too great...drop me an email if you are interested.

PS - I have built over 10 rods so I wouldbe happy to answer any other general questions you have.

dead head:
Hey Gooey can you recommend any books to read up on about road building?

Gooey:
Unfortunately, I dont have any reading resources to recommend, I kinda self taught...first rod was a 3113 (yikes) but frankly, if you take your time, there is nothing tricky to rod building. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version