Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No salmon fishing 2020?  (Read 8844 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: No salmon fishing 2020?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »

That will make Hike and Fish very happy because we all know how much he likes his hatchery coho ;)

fish.on

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/

"This temporary measure means public and vehicle access is prohibited until further notice. All trails, roads, day-use areas, beaches, lakes, boat launches, and backcountry areas are closed to the public."

Does this mean all fishing is now closed?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2020, 11:21:12 AM »

• Coho yearlings to be released in coming months are already marked so disruptions should not impact this. SEP has a whole year to mark the next year’s releases so there should be minimal impact.

how about steelhead?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/

"This temporary measure means public and vehicle access is prohibited until further notice. All trails, roads, day-use areas, beaches, lakes, boat launches, and backcountry areas are closed to the public."

Does this mean all fishing is now closed?

it is if you  have to access the water via a Provincial Park.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »

how about steelhead?

The province would never release un-clipped steelhead. Hatchery steelhead are like the plague in the eyes of provincial biologists.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »

I have heard Canada has agreed to provisions in the newest edition of the Pacific Salmon Treaty that requires all members to mass mark  all hatchery chinook and coho.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2020, 02:19:48 PM »

I have heard Canada has agreed to provisions in the newest edition of the Pacific Salmon Treaty that requires all members to mass mark  all hatchery chinook and coho.

not sure about chinook

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2020, 07:12:32 PM »

not sure about chinook
YUP!... chinook

Tylsie

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2020, 10:25:18 PM »

• Coho yearlings to be released in coming months are already marked so disruptions should not impact this. SEP has a whole year to mark the next year’s releases so there should be minimal impact.

This is only partly true. As of now all marking and tagging are currently paused at all DFO and community facilities. There are many SEP partners whose programs require them to release Coho as Fry becasue they do not have the facilities, space, or funds to house the Coho for 15 to 18 months until smolts. These fry are generally clipped when they reach 2.5 to 3 grams, which probably won't be happening for another month. With the physical distancing requirements it is not feasible to have clipping done in an effective manner prior to when they have to be released.

I doubt there will be any noticeable impact on the larger, more heavily enahnced systems like to the C/V but on smaller will systems the impact could be huge.