Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No salmon fishing 2020?  (Read 8894 times)

4x4

Re: No salmon fishing 2020?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »

I will be fishing hatchery Coho rivers with or without an opening AND I WILL be bonking hatchery fish. That's what I pay for. I honestly dont care. I'll take a fine or two per season. They can f**K right off if they think they can prevent me from retaining clipped fish that my license dollars pay for.

Weren't you the guy that posted a picture of a fellow fishing out of bounds during Pink season on the lower Vedder? Kind of idiotic what your posting now don't you think?

Btw saw a fishing boat with a net out today while crossing the GE Bridge. Don't know if they have an opening or not. I'm guessing Springs or Oolies.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:19:49 PM by 4x4 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »

There are currently some FN communal openings for eulachon.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CommunalOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf

No communal openings are expected for chinook salmon until most likely early August like last year. There will probably the odd ceremonial fisheries.

Robert_G

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »

No communal openings are expected for chinook salmon until most likely early August like last year. There will probably the odd ceremonial fisheries.

There may have not being any openings before August last year, but you and I both know they were out fishing before August last year.....and they will do the same this year.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »

We are limited in the amount we can put on website which is why you can see   “April 1 until further notice”   given salmon don’t start arriving into the tribs until August at the earliest we still have plenty of time for this review to occur.

Thanks for that clarification.  Will any special consideration be given to openings for earlier salmon runs, for which there are quite a few, one example being the Cap blueback run?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »

DFO just does not no how to communicate. They rely to heavily on the SFAB/SFAC` system to get the word out but there is almost no participation in it.

The conspiracy theory it in me says they have no plans to open up the tribs until they allow FN's on the fraser to have wide spread fisheries.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 06:18:51 PM »

I will be fishing hatchery Coho rivers with or without an opening AND I WILL be bonking hatchery fish. That's what I pay for. I honestly dont care. I'll take a fine or two per season. They can f**K right off if they think they can prevent me from retaining clipped fish that my license dollars pay for.

That's the spirit! I once had a friend who bought a ticket to the movie theatre but the theatre was closed for the night. He broke in and tried to start the projector himself. When the cops showed up, he told them he'd paid his money and deserved a movie. They told him he shouldn't have bought a ticket if the theatre was closed. Needless to say, he lost that argument  ::)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 09:08:44 PM »

That's the spirit! I once had a friend who bought a ticket to the movie theatre but the theatre was closed for the night. He broke in and tried to start the projector himself. When the cops showed up, he told them he'd paid his money and deserved a movie. They told him he shouldn't have bought a ticket if the theatre was closed. Needless to say, he lost that argument  ::)

Hatchery system, I'm gonna fish it and most likely kill some clipped Coho.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »

Or, you could do what some of us are doing, ongoing communication with DFO through the SFAC to make sure these hatchery fisheries will be open when the season approaches.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 12:45:36 PM »

Or, you could do what some of us are doing, ongoing communication with DFO through the SFAC to make sure these hatchery fisheries will be open when the season approaches.

That's the difference between only looking out for yourself and looking out for the angling community as a whole. Thank you Rod, for your efforts to ensure that everyone gets to enjoy these fisheries! I can only imagine the time and effort it takes.

GordJ

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 06:37:28 PM »

Hatchery system, I'm gonna fish it and most likely kill some clipped Coho.
I’ll back you up all the way. A person should be able to pick and choose any laws that he wants to obey. I’m going to pick speed limits first because I bought a car with capabilities to go way faster than 30 km/h in school zones. And that stupid “can’t take money out of banks if it’s not yours” thing is garbage, why do they have money there at all if I can’t have some?
And don’t get me started on the “age of consent” topic, that one really needs breaking. Hike and fish, what school do your kids go to?

Tylsie

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »

Back on topic, yes, there will be some restrictions to fishing this year but I think most of those are not COVID related. They were coming anyway and this will just be used as a cover. But what I think will be really interesting is what happens in three years. Pretty much no volunteer hatchery is going to be able to clip their Coho and some of the larger facilities, unless they have automated machines, aren't going to be either.

There is going to be a whole bunch of "wild" hatchery coho coming back in the near future. Good luck keeping one, and will be the pretty much the end of any truly wild stains out there.

Roderick

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »

This comes from an abundance of caution from the government.  They really don't want someone to die cause they didn't close a fishery.  I mean, what other recreational activities are still on?  They just closed Stanley Park to cars and the sea wall to bicycles so we shouldn't feel picked on.

That said, I will almost certainly fish, alone, and if they think it's worth the effort to come give me a ticket I'll just pay it. (And they better stay 10 feet away from me while they are writing it!)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:18:05 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 08:13:37 AM »

All provincial parks are closing today. Press release just went out, should hit the news shortly :/

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »

But what I think will be really interesting is what happens in three years. Pretty much no volunteer hatchery is going to be able to clip their Coho and some of the larger facilities, unless they have automated machines, aren't going to be either.

Good observation, Tylsie.  Another unintended impact of COVID prevention measures. It will be interesting in three years time.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:17 AM »

• Coho yearlings to be released in coming months are already marked so disruptions should not impact this. SEP has a whole year to mark the next year’s releases so there should be minimal impact.