Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: California Neal for Coho?  (Read 5282 times)

Chehalis_Steel

California Neal for Coho?
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »

Hey guys

New to the forum but I've been fly fishing for 8 years now.

Anyway, since its coho season I was thinking of trying out something new. I've done well in the past with the go-to rolled muddlers and olive buggers on on the swing/ strip and dead drifting glo bugs under an indicator. I recently heard of a new fly called the California Neal (Coho Bugger I think is the other name for it). According to a buddy of mine its effective for coho and chum.

Before I start tying them I just want to find out if anyone else has actually had success using them, and if so, what size and color...better to get other people's opinion than waste time and materials tying a fly that sucks I say ::) BTW I'm mostly going to be fishing the Norrish/Suicide Creek swinging and stripping flies with my clear intermediate tip line. Possibly the Harrison as well.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
Re: California Neal for Coho?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:47:51 AM »

I've had great success with the C/N, and it';s my go to pattern on many of the local flows

You might say I keep one or two on me at all times

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:36:41 AM »

I also carry a few rows of them in my coho fly box. They're definitely a very productive pattern for both the salt and freshwater...
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »

Well thanks for the info guys. I ended up tying up six of them and they look great. Unfortunately the creek was pretty much blown this weekend so they didn't work. Did get a beauty hatchery coho on a bigger white rolled muddler though so it wasn't all bad  :)