Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saracione fly reels  (Read 15164 times)

Lyall

Saracione fly reels
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »

Was looking around at MY fly shop and saw some Saracione and Abel fly reels....they looked gorgeous. Talk about pricy though! Anybody ever fished with either of these? If so how do they compare to all your other reels?

Carich980

Re: Saracione fly reels
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »

Look like Awesome Reels, I was debating getting a Saracione for my Sage One Spey rod at the time of purchase. I was looking at Hatch, Tibor, Abel and Saracione. I decided after reading alot of reviews and forum/internet searching that a Hatch 7 plus was the best match for my 7136.

They are all beautiful reels for those of us that actually care about getting quality gear. Many of the welfare trolls on here will tell you not to waste your money though.... :-*

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:12:29 AM »

Abels are a lot less money than a saracione.... i have 6 abels and they are all great reels to look at and fish
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »

just remember that with Saracione reels that you cant palm the spool edge, same goes for Loop Classic's, Hardy Perfect's, Hardy Bougle's and any other cage style reel out there, they do however have an awesome disc drag for fish stopping power(Hardy's are click/pawl - no drag) I fish a Bougle on my spey rod now and absolutely love when a fish screams while im trying to feather the back face of the reel, its not the same as palming the spool thats for sure

I wish i could afford a Saracione reel because they are gorgeous but if im going to put up that kind of money why not get a really old pre world war 1 Hardy Perfect then at least i have something with a history. I really enjoy fishing old gear and wish that it could whisper its journeys in my ear  ;D

HOOK - saw a Perfect for sale that was from around 1910 but the wife wouldnt let me grab it unfortunately.

PS - if you have the money for expensive quality gear then by all means buy whatever your heart desires, quality gear will always outlast cheap stuff and the companies stand behind their products. I buy the best my life at the moment allows however with small kids its quite limited, the upside is that i get to start buying gear for them too now (3yr old already has his first spinning rod)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »

Many of the welfare trolls on here will tell you not to waste your money though.... :-*

Classy.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

cutthroat22 -- HA HA HA good one  ;D

I decided not to feed the troll personally.

I do however believe in spending decent/good money when it comes to reels because i want something with a good warranty and that will last the test of time so maybe one day i can pass them onto my kids or their kids.

think of it this way - buy a cheap reel that might give you 1/2 seasons before the drag burns out or something else and then continue buying them which will cost you OR spend more and get a reel that you never have to worry about breaking unless you drop it/fall on it and even then you can send it back for repairs not to mention if something does break the warranty will cover it.

of course you can buy several brands of reels in the mid price range that have warranties and are a great product. for example Lamson and Pflueger reels come to mind. you will also always pay more for something anodized which means its good for freshwater and saltwater
Check out our new blog

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »

They are all beautiful reels for those of us that actually care about getting quality gear. Many of the welfare trolls on here will tell you not to waste your money though.... :-*

:D

gilbey

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

How would an Islander LX 4.5 compare with a Saracione or a Able spey reel ???

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »

Islanders are closer in price range to the Abel reels and in the same quality category. added bonus is they are Canadian made as well. Saracione on the other hand is alot higher end and if you put them side by side it shows. I cant recall but i dont think Islanders are hand made anymore and if memory serves me on the Saracione website it states that they are still hand made.

this is straight from the Saracione website's first paragraph:

Saracione fly fishing reels are precision machined and assembled in the USA. Each reel is individually numbered and carries a lifetime warranty for the life of the original purchaser. Saracione reels are one of the most sought after collectibles among the world’s most discriminating fly fishers. For over 20 years, SARACIONE has been recognized as the leader in high quality handmade salmon, trout and steelhead fly reels worldwide.

here is Islanders link and from what i read it basically states they are hand made but in alot larger scale more like a production line:

http://www.islander.com/main.php

HOOK - doesnt own an Islander and honestly doesnt understand all the rage  ::)
Check out our new blog

Lyall

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »

I have an Islander LX 4.0 paired with my 8wt spey rod. Personally, I think they are great reels and don't have any complaints thus far. Having said that, it is the only good quality reel I have ever owned so don't have much to compare too ::)

Once again I was just looking around the fly shop and the Saracione reels caught my eye....after picking one up and playing with it there was definitely a difference between it and my Islander. I checked out the Hatch and Abel reels as well, but liked the Saraciones the best (except for the price tag!). One thing I did note was the Saracione was by far the heaviest (all comparable sizes) and the Hatch being super light. All beautiful reels though - dont think you could go wrong with any of them.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 10:09:45 AM »

"For over 20 years, SARACIONE has been recognized as the leader in high quality handmade salmon, trout and steelhead fly reels worldwide."

so why do Bogdan fetch 2500 $ and up ?

I have a unused bogdan valued at over 5000$

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »

didnt the price of Bogdan reels go up last year when Stanley Bogden passed away ??

were his reels not also made by him and his son only ? which translates to a slow, precise and very cared for handmade product. basically made to order seeing as i have heard of customers waiting months if not longer to recieve their reel. I would love to own one however that would be a display piece  :o

Check out our new blog

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »

i use mine............at one point I had 2 of these ambacrombie fitch Stan Bogdans.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »

wow what a stunning reel jetboatjim, almost too nice to fish!

simple and elegant, craftmanship is top notch
A swung fly is the best fly.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »

Very nice jimmy! 8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"