Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electric motor on smaller lakes  (Read 5894 times)

gheart008

Electric motor on smaller lakes
« on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »

I was chatting it up with a guy on a canoe on Lafarge on Saturday, and the topic came up about electric motors.  He was mentioning that it was only allowed on larger lakes like Buntzen and Sassamat?

Is that true?  Are you not allowed to use an electric motor on Lafarge?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Electric motor on smaller lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:30:46 AM »

Restriction on boat motors at a particular lake (eg. no power motor, electric motor only, horsepower restriction, speed restriction, no restriction) can usually be found in the fishing regulation synopsis. See table at:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/2008/fish-synopsis_2008-09_region2.pdf

Lafarge Lake is not listed in there, so anglers can first assume that there is no motor restriction, but since the lake is located in the City of Coquitlam, one may also want to check with the City to see what restrictions are in place. I did a search on the website of City of Coquitlam and found no restrictions.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:07:27 AM »

So technically you're allowed a gas motor on Lafarge? ;D

gheart008

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »

Restriction on boat motors at a particular lake (eg. no power motor, electric motor only, horsepower restriction, speed restriction, no restriction) can usually be found in the fishing regulation synopsis. See table at:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/2008/fish-synopsis_2008-09_region2.pdf

Lafarge Lake is not listed in there, so anglers can first assume that there is no motor restriction, but since the lake is located in the City of Coquitlam, one may also want to check with the City to see what restrictions are in place. I did a search on the website of City of Coquitlam and found no restrictions.

Yup, I knew about that link and knew that Lafarge wasn't on there, which is why I asked.  I also asked because I've used an electric motor on that lake before so it was a bit awkward when talking to the guy on the canoe.  Just wanted to clarify to make sure I didn't break any regulations.

Weird how Buntzen isn't on that list either.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »

Its an excllent tubing lake in the summer!
weeeeeeeeeow!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »

Weird how Buntzen isn't on that list either.

Buntzen is owned by B.C. Hydro and the motor restrictions are theirs:
"The use of power boats is prohibited on Buntzen Lake. Small battery-powered electric motors are allowed. "
http://www.bchydro.com/recreation/mainland/mainland1208.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:10:20 AM »

Another urban lake that doesn't seem to have motor restriction is Mill Lake in Abbotsford. Users should of course operate their boat at reasonable speed so it doesn't bother other users in these cases. Electric motor should not be a problem as long as the lake is not overcrowded with other tubers and boats.