Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River meeting by all three sectors  (Read 18171 times)

cammer

• I'm a llama!
Re: Fraser River meeting by all three sectors
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2019, 02:07:53 PM »

We all know that FN will continue to fish , now it will be highly visible and hopefully highly regulated!  Rod has any of the chats been to fish wheels or beach seine only ?  The removal of all gill nets during this time?

Robert_G

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »

We all know that FN will continue to fish , now it will be highly visible and hopefully highly regulated! 

You mean all the piles and piles of Pinks and Chum (and even a steelhead) left on the beach to rot that DFO turned a complete blind eye to? Is that the regulation you hope will happen? Fact....it won't happen.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 01:26:49 AM »

We all know that FN will continue to fish , now it will be highly visible and hopefully highly regulated!  Rod has any of the chats been to fish wheels or beach seine only ?  The removal of all gill nets during this time?

Cam, I doubt the use of gill net will be eliminated anytime soon, and First Nations will continue to fish of course. The focus now shifts too selectivity. The use of pound net is on the table, beach seine will need to be practiced properly so selectivity can be achieved. Fish wheels have not really been discussed.

Second focus will be transparency of openings. It is in every sector's best interest to know when the openings are. Fisheries and Oceans Canada has done a poor job delivering that information, so rec and FN sectors will work on our own together to make sure everyone knows when and where openings occur, so violations could more easily be identified and reported.

It's good to see the saltwater rec sector willing to work with both Fraser rec and FNs now that closures are affecting the Strait. I'm sure options to get everyone out fishing again will be discussed. These will include a joint push for hatchery productions and hatchery-marked only fisheries.

Lots going on beside these, I'm sure you can get more detailed updates from BCFDF too.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »

The use of pound net is on the table, beach seine will need to be practiced properly so selectivity can be achieved.
I had not heard the term "pound net" before, but I have heard about the fish traps that it describes.  It seems similar in function to a weir.  Sounds great for selectivity if boats can learn to avoid them.  There has been some experimentation with these on the Columbia river, but for some reason they aren't being adopted widely yet.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »

For the Tidel area below the mission bridge fish wheels and beach seins have been tired. The muddy bottom and snaggs make using a beach seign extremely difficult. Their is not enough current for fish wheels.  The preferred method is drift gill nets.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:22:03 PM by wildmanyeah »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »

Fish wheels are effective in the lower canyon near Yale, but that won't work for the Sto-Lo fishers downstream.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »

Fish wheels are effective in the lower canyon near Yale, but that won't work for the Sto-Lo fishers downstream.
I believe there was 2 at one time, at the Mouth of the Vedder (Sumas) and  the other at Yale?

standalone

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »

let the FN, commercial, sports catch(unlimited, no rules) the last salmon as soon as possible.
Then the groups may sit down discuss to restart the stock with a fair deal.
current situation is a long term pain.

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »

Rodney i thought there was already ongoing meetings between the groups that were formed a few years back?

Or ,was that just sport fishers and First Nations?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »

Rodney i thought there was already ongoing meetings between the groups that were formed a few years back?

Or ,was that just sport fishers and First Nations?

There is the Fraser River Peacemakers, that process is still happening and some of these dialogues will draw resources from that to help for sure.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »

There is the Fraser River Peacemakers, that process is still happening and some of these dialogues will draw resources from that to help for sure.

OK, Thanks.
Glad to hear that group is still meeting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2019, 11:29:43 PM »

Yep. It might seem like no progress has been made in the past decade from these processes, but people really gotta remember that these are issues that have been built up since a century ago and it's not going to change overnight.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »

Rome wasnt built in a day and if it was id hire that contractor to fix this mess.

I appreciate your patience and effort and time that you put into the many fish/fishing related causes out there and im sure everyone else appreciates it as well.

Once again.
Thanks Rod.