Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West Coast of Vancouver Island, June 28th - July 1st 2008  (Read 1850 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
West Coast of Vancouver Island, June 28th - July 1st 2008
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:57:57 AM »

Well I got back from 4 days of fishing off the west coast of Vancouver Island in Ucluelet and I am still trying to find my land legs as everything is still moving up and down. The chinook fishing was slow but the fishing for halibut, ling cod and bottom fish was really good. Was able to bring home my limit of all 3. We ended up fishing at the Canadian princess resort which was ok, but wont be doing it again. At some points it felt like sockeye fishing in the ocean as you can have upto 20 people on the boat jigging in 200 feet of water, not exactly my cup of tea. It was fun though as the crews on the boat where alot of fun and so was some of the other guest. Had the most fun on our last trip out yesterday on the coho princess with Keith( captain) and deck hands Morgan and Trevor. Keith got us onto fish for 3.5 hours straight and man did I have a workout reeling in halibut and ling cod. My biggest Halibut was 24lbs and my biggest ling cod was 15lbs. Here is a picture of the Halibut.

We also had Keith as our captain on a bottom fishing trip where he also got us onto fish the entire time and he was able to call some eagles over and did they ever put on a show collecting their dinner.

Now the trips out to the big bank where 2hours out and 2 hours back. You only had about 3.5 hours of actually fishing time. The trips out and back where pretty boring and was mostly spent catching up on some sleep. The last trip with Keith though nobody slept as we where entertained all the way out with dolphins and on the way back with humpback whales breaching everywhere. Here is a picture from some of the Halibut that where caught on our last trip out on Tuesday morning.

And here is a picture of Morgan, one of the deck hands filleting a halibut. Now here is someone that knows how to use a knife. Man I would not want to piss her off  :happy:.

So if you do decide to want to give this a try and you go to this resort try to request the boat the coho princess as they will make the day alot of fun and you will be onto alot of fish. We had 18 halibut and 28 ling cod on the boat.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:26:03 PM by Rodney »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: West Coast of Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:20:58 AM »

Sounds like a good time. Can't beat a hali dinner too. :) Thanks for the report. I went out to Mud Bay and caught Mudshark on the weekend.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »

That looks like alto of fun out there , passed by there a couple time in the past but didn't get hooked up . We ended going up to Tofino instead . BTW that reel you sold to me landed me a nice spring the other day as you can see in my post . Thanks again for the reel , works just fine  ;D .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:18:03 PM by armytruck »
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »

Been there, done that. It can get really rough out there. No wonder they're referred to "puke boats"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »

We got lucky as the seas where pretty calm. The only day we had any swells was on Sunday. The other 3 days it was relativly calm. Alot of people where on gravel but I am pretty lucky and never need any.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »

Was at the Canadian Princess last year... Salmon fishing sucked but the Halibut fishing was great. Glad to hear you had a good trip  ;)
And when we went the seas were horrible... the second day I had the flu to start with so the 8 foot waves didnt help that out much  :-X, all in all though it was a great trip, hope to go back again someday 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »

Nope no smelly sea lions. We did get to see the eagles coming for dinner right beside the boat as well as dolphins and whales. Definatly not going back to the canadian princess resort as again it was not my idea of fishing. My father-n-law is already planning the next trip but this time it will be somewhere else that will actually be "fishing" . Like I said it felt like sockeye fishing on the fraser but on a boat in the ocean.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 01:07:27 PM »

Nope no smelly sea lions. We did get to see the eagles coming for dinner right beside the boat as well as dolphins and whales. Definatly not going back to the canadian princess resort as again it was not my idea of fishing. My father-n-law is already planning the next trip but this time it will be somewhere else that will actually be "fishing" . Like I said it felt like sockeye fishing on the fraser but on a boat in the ocean.

This is true, with the boats we were on though we got lucky all 3 days because the boats had a minimum number of people so was like 1 person for every 2 rods. I was getting kinda pissed off though because I lost a big spring and a big lingcod, both because the idiot next to me didnt want to reel in his line  ::)

Rybar

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 03:13:25 PM »

Just got back from ucluelet myself. We went with a charter (a friend of mine) we definately got into the salmon. 18 spring and coho retained in 3 days, with about 5-6 wild coho released. The water was pretty rough so trolling was the better technique, jigging for halibut was tough, we only got two smaller ones. I saw those boats at the Princess Resort and know what you mean, not really that fun looking. Especially with rough seas.

bruce

Re: West Coast of Vancouver Island, June 28th - July 1st 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »

how much is for one person ?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Geff_t

• Old Timer
Re: West Coast of Vancouver Island, June 28th - July 1st 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:48:46 PM »

how much is for one person ?

I have no idea as it was a birthday present from the in laws.