Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weekend fishing  (Read 3473 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Weekend fishing
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 06:41:06 PM »

You can tell by distinguishing features such as scars, split fins, fin clips etc. Obviously its harder to tell if you've caught the same fish a long amount of time apart but if you catch the same fish in the same day or a few days later you can usually tell. I've caught the same summer steelhead twice. First time I got him early in the day so I sent him off on his way. About two weeks later I got the exact same fish out of the exact same spot. Second time around he was unlucky enough to have taken my roe very deeply and was given the rock shampoo. I could tell it was the same fish both times because that fish had the same large scar near its tail.
Actions speak louder than words.

Ribwart

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 09:23:13 AM »

Good points Biff, I have noticed this as well...Closely inspecting your fish can give you an idea how many are holding in a run...and can be a good indication of when it's time to get on the move or stay in a pool if you know there are multiple fish holding in there, or just one or two being hooked repetetively...nice work on the fish winston...see ya out there... ;)

rib

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 04:16:45 PM »

yup im heading out tommorow hopefully rib... if your out tommorow I will know where to find you ;)

fishfryer

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 10:29:19 PM »

a couple of hundred meters.. hmm, wonder how many more fish there would be in the river in a couple of years if that fish had been able to spawn...call me crazy, but I'd rather catch them than kill 'em.