Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weekend fishing  (Read 3474 times)

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
Weekend fishing
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:25:12 PM »

On Friday afternoon i decided to head out to the flow, an after school jaunt to see if there were any steelhead to be had. I got to the river at around 12:30 and started up at one of my usual runs, there was another man going through it already and i decided to go above him and start up. I throw on a roebag to start, but nothing for the whole run. I move to various other runs i usually fish and still nothing. ??? Nearing the end of light i try a little slot where i have never seen someone fish before. I don't really expect anything to be in there but throw a cast in and walk and drift, while I am, I look down as i am walking over some rocks I am freespooling and keeping my thumb with a fare bit of pressure on the spool. Suddenly I feel head shakes I put more pressure on my thumb and try and click in my spool, I see a pretty big steel bubble under the water and as I click in the spool I loose the fish :( darn. I decide to give that run a few minutes to calm down and try again 5min later. Nothing going for me really so i decide one more cast, I then throw a cast into a the edge of the fast water and boom float down fish on. It was a bit smaller steel and it takes me downriver where i then loose it :-\. so that was it for me that day which ended up being good even though I wasn't able to land either of the fish.

I decide to go Saturday, I get myself to the river at 8:30 and see quite a few vehicles at one of my runs i had luck at the day before. I move to a selected part of the run where there no one was fishing. I work my way through the run with a roebag again. At the very end of the tail out float down fish on!!! I see a bar of chrome jump out of the water  ;D I am kinda panicing seeing how I am at the end of the run and i cannot walk down much farther probably another 15ft of walking space..the steel soon starts taking line so I tighten up my drag in a attempt to control the fish a bit better. Luckily the fish cooroperates and comes close to the shore line and I see that it is a huge steel a good 14lb wild doe. I tail the steel snap a few pics..(by myself) which is extremely hard to do. Wish I had a camera man with me :D :D so anyways I let the fish go, and leave that hole alone. I walk to another run which has done well for me this year and throw everything in there but i guess there were no fish... I decide to go to the run where I had some luck yesterday and first cast in there float down  ;D ;D. I soon see a nice steel jump out of the water and run downstream, I play the fish for about 10 min and its tailed to hand. A nice hatchery 11lb doe, DONE so I leave the river about 1.5hours from the start ;D short day. But thats fine too. ::) Had a great day on the river.

Pics to come once my brother puts them on here.

Got Fish 

Hook Set

Re: Weekend fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 07:54:12 PM »

Good job, to bad about losing those fish but good to hear you got a couple others. Congrats

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »

Here are the pictures:

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:40:56 PM »

wow! looks like your year is off to a good start Winston. I thought I saw you on the river today but the guy said he wasn't you.
Fish on!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »

Nice pictures winston,Thanks for sharing ;)

frenchy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:40:01 PM »

Man you are good!!!

Given my current results, I have nothing to say, but if I were you, I would not keep the first hatch of the day... You only fished 1.5 hours and hooked 2 fish. Is it because they were bitting just during this time or did they bite all day? The only way to become a real master is, IMO, to stay the whole day out and to try to understand why they are bitting during a short time or why it is a very good day and they are bitting all day. If you kill the first fish and leave, I think it will be difficult to become better. But once again I am just a poor bad fisherman :'(.

Really great job.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 10:00:01 PM »

Nice pictures and good catch!!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »

Nice fish!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS
weeeeeeeeeow!

johnny

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:40:21 PM »

Man you are good!!!

Given my current results, I have nothing to say, but if I were you, I would not keep the first hatch of the day... You only fished 1.5 hours and hooked 2 fish. Is it because they were bitting just during this time or did they bite all day? The only way to become a real master is, IMO, to stay the whole day out and to try to understand why they are bitting during a short time or why it is a very good day and they are bitting all day. If you kill the first fish and leave, I think it will be difficult to become better. But once again I am just a poor bad fisherman :'(.

Really great job.
"A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.."

;)
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:57:47 PM »

Man you are good!!!

Really great job.

i bonked that hatchery so early because my parents wanted me home early to help out with chores... :-\

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 12:13:39 AM »

Hey you did great and your'e way ahead of me so far, 1 wild landed, 2 on but lost in 5 outings. Don't
worry to, too much about leaving to early its all about having fun. Whatever works for you. Congrats.

fishfryer

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »

I'd have to agree with Frenchy. Not only for the day long learning experience, but you may have been on your way to an epic day!Last year,I had 9 or 10 skunks in a row, then caught 2 in one morning. As they were my first ever steelhead on the Vedder, I killed the second one and went home. This year, I had a 4 day skunk on,and caught one on about the 5th or 6th cast, nice 10# hatch doe. Of course she went back in. If you think that just because it's a hatch, that you have to kill it, then so be it. I would prefer to let someone else, maybe a real rookie catch it as their first, and fish on.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 07:51:39 AM »

Nice fish indeed winston! :o ;)
At some point we will meet up and head out ;)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »

Good Job Winston, maybe I need to start fishing with you , you seem to have the magic touch this year  ;)
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

norm_2

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »

Well done Winston.  But for the rest of us, he must be near his limit soon so he will have to leave them all for us to hook. :D