Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: seaguar blue label; i'm quitting.  (Read 7711 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
seaguar blue label; i'm quitting.
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:31:30 AM »

So i've been using seaguar blue label 10lb for two seasons now and the best I can describe it is inconsistent. I was out yesterday and lost a few coho. The break happened at the leader. Usually snapped when the fish did it's first or second jump. Ok so I adjusted the drag to even less (baitcaster) and it helped a bit but as soon as I switched over to 10lb maxima my landing success went up 90%. My instinct says that maxima is just more stretchy then seaguar...Perhaps I'm simply not a good enough fisherman to effectively use fluro...

Does anyone have similar experiences with seaguar blue label fluro leader - or am I the only one.

Thanks.

dobrolub

Re: seaguar blue label; i'm quitting.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »

If it's breaking at the knots I'd suggest trying out better knots. The blue label is fragile if you knots are bad.

knot to the main line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE3OXADeadw

It helps to also use stretchy mono main line. I use Blue Label, almost never fails me.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »

Thanks. It was breaking about an inch below the knot actually. But you make a good point about mono for mainline giving you more flex. I use braid so perhaps that fluro/braid combo is not so good...

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:43:44 AM »

If you are breaking consistatly below the knot instead of elsewhere then it is probably something to do with how you are tying it. If it was the line it would be breaking all over. Pinching the line with your fingernail will cause a knick in the line. Or maybe you are not wetting enough length of the line when synching it causing the line to friction burn.

dobrolub

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »

If you are breaking consistatly below the knot instead of elsewhere then it is probably something to do with how you are tying it. If it was the line it would be breaking all over. Pinching the line with your fingernail will cause a knick in the line. Or maybe you are not wetting enough length of the line when synching it causing the line to friction burn.
+1. do check out the vid on the knot I posted. It seems to me that weakening of the line happens when tying the knot as  cross-eyed suggests

santefe

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »

I also seem to have a problem using Fluor carbon leaders.  Never or very seldom have a knot fail when I use mono for a leader. But when it came to using Fluor carbon my knot has failed, particularly when playing a fish.
So have since stuck to using good old trilene clear for my leader material.

redside1

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »

Lube your knots when tying them. It’s very easy to “burn” fluorocarbon when tying it to swivels. This usually affects the first inch of line below the swivel. I use blue label all the time and have had zero issues ever when spitting on the knot before pulling tight.

redside1

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 05:25:07 PM »

Thanks. It was breaking about an inch below the knot actually. But you make a good point about mono for mainline giving you more flex. I use braid so perhaps that fluro/braid combo is not so good...
If fishing in close or having a tight line right to your float, it’s easy enough to break a fish off on the strike. Fluorocarbon can’t take the quick sudden shock like mono can.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 06:09:14 PM »

Braid and Flouro are a bad mix without a shock line imo.
It could also be a bad spool of line.
Shouldnt be breaking off Coho with 10 lb. but you allready know that.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »

If it's breaking at the knots I'd suggest trying out better knots. The blue label is fragile if you knots are bad.

It helps to also use stretchy mono main line. I use Blue Label, almost never fails me.

I've been tying this knot for a few years after being extremely frustrated with Flurocarbon and I absolutely fell back in love with flurocarbon. The only thing is when using braid and fluro, you really need to work with the drag. Theres definitely no horsing fish in thats for sure.

bobby b

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »

If fishing in close or having a tight line right to your float, it’s easy enough to break a fish off on the strike. Fluorocarbon can’t take the quick sudden shock like mono can.

^^^ X2 ... Yup, esp. with braid mainline.

I too gave up on fluoro.

I honestly never noticed a different 'bite rate' using fluoro vs mono ..
but def noticed a better 'catch rate' due to the lower 'breakage rate'
when using ... good old Maxima UG

Saved a few $ too

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 11:52:00 PM »

^^^ X2 ... Yup, esp. with braid mainline.

I too gave up on fluoro.

I honestly never noticed a different 'bite rate' using fluoro vs mono ..
but def noticed a better 'catch rate' due to the lower 'breakage rate'
when using ... good old Maxima UG

Saved a few $ too

Same here. I tried different brand of fluoro but they all break, some easier than others.

avid angler

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »

Isn’t blue label for Stillwater? Yellow label Seaguar is the best leader I’ve ever used. Maxima UG is traaaaaash

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 06:46:21 AM »

note how the line is doubled. Just about any knot used to tie line to lure can be doubled. Anglers have been doing this for over 50 years. Same with many line to line knots. Doubling the knots should double the strength of the knot. Try it with an ordinary clinch knot. Down side is a bulkier knot.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 07:01:58 AM »

Ultra green is traaaash ?? It’s all I’ve ever used. Never ever had an issue. Different strokes for different folks I guess.