Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sardine fishing collapse shutdown news  (Read 2308 times)

RRV

Re: Sardine fishing collapse shutdown news
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »

Given the importance of this species in our marine ecosystem, I hope the species rebounds, and a ban on this commercial fishery makes perfect sense.

This also confirms what I have observed fishing off the west of Vancouver Island: there are no more Pilchard's sardines. Despite not having seen a single sardine over the past two seasons, when salmon fishing I still carry my spinning outfit with a herring jig (which I used to use to catch sardines for bait), but now my herring jig just takes up space in the boat and is mostly used by the kids to catch black-bass rockfish off the dock.

Dogbreath

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

Sardines come & go it's complicate story of scarcity & abundance-in any case they've never been a critical source of food locally-not like Herring.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »

Sardines, Herring and Anchovies all have up and down cycles.

A conference I attended a couple months ago - hosted by a PBS scientist (the name escapes me right now), suggested that the ocean ecosystem never really loses biomass - the biomass simply changes. He said on warm years, you'll notice an increase in anchovies and sardines, and on colder years, an increase in herring. The overall abundance of bait fish as a whole in the ecosystem will not change.

The same was said for salmon. Chinook do not fair very well in warming oceans, but pinks on the other hand seem to be flourishing. Again, warming ocean conditions are extremely bad for sockeye and chinook, but seem to favour pinks. Biomass overall is the same - but not the way "we like it" as far as commercially important species go.

Going back to that paper - most likely the population hasn't collapsed - it's simply moved. California to Alaska use to have a high abundance from ~1900 - 1940, and then the population disappeared in the North and was only found in the South. The 1990's (ocean warming - salmon/herring declines) once again started seeing sardines return to their northern ranges.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »

Good post Dan.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:13:15 PM »

So what were the Anchovies replaced with in Burrard Inlet ?